2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS720+ - Streamline your data management
ds720+_big.png

Scalable NAS with SSD cache acceleration capability
Synology DS720+ is a compact network-attached storage solution to streamline data and multimedia management. Two built-in M.2 SSD slots and Synology SSD Cache technology allow you to boost system I/O and application performance. Scalable storage design lets you start small and expand storage capacity with Synology DX517 as your data grows...

For more information...

Read more about this resource...

... or discuss it below.

Pretty powerful for its size, especially with all SSDs. A real shame Synology didn't add a 2.5 or 5GbE port - they do like to cling on to the last gasps of 1GbE.

Are you minded to try a USB3 to 5GbE dongle and associated drivers?

A real shame Synology didn't add a 2.5 or 5GbE port - they do like to cling on to the last gasps of 1GbE.
Yes, agree with that.

Are you minded to try a USB3 to 5GbE dongle and associated drivers?
Currently, no plans, but who knows what the future brings.

Last edited:
When we bought our 720+ we stuffed it with Ram Expansion, 6TB CMR large cache 7200RPM Ironwolfs, and Ironwolf 128Gb M.2's for R/W Cache...
I know the 128 M.2 Ironwolf are Gen 3 devices.... If, in the future I would want to upgrade to latest 1TB Ironwolf M.2's which I hear are Gen 4 devices....... Is the 720+ a Gen 3 or Gen 4 M.2 device? Looked, but Can't find that spec

Thanks!

@Jan Janowski The M.2 is more of a form factor than a specific interface or generation. PCIe itself is backward compatible so a Gen 4 device will drop to a Gen 3 interface or speed*. (Small caveat depending on the number of lanes and physical slot size.)

If you are using the board-mounted M.2 slots then these will interface at Gen 3 standards with either a Gen 3 or 4 SSD. A bit of a waste of a Gen 4 SSD but if you have the need then it will do it.

Hmm, the intel page for the j4125 cpu says it supports Gen 2, not Gen 3.

For the PCIe expansion slot (which isn't there in this custom application) or for the M.2 NVMe to CPU?

Reasonably sure that the CPU when fitted with a normal suite of PC-like connectivity does not have the resources for an NVMe drive at all, limiting an M.2 slot to SATA only. When stripped-down for custom NAS use does allow for more focused use of the CPU IO but I don't recall seeing the actual CPU and board logic listed anywhere.

For the PCIe expansion slot (which isn't there in this custom application) or for the M.2 NVMe to CPU?

Reasonably sure that the CPU when fitted with a normal suite of PC-like connectivity does not have the resources for an NVMe drive at all, limiting an M.2 slot to SATA only. When stripped-down for custom NAS use does allow for more focused use of the CPU IO but I don't recall seeing the actual CPU and board logic listed anywhere.
I'm by no means a computer expert, but from the intel page I understand that the CPU itself only supports 6 lanes of pcie gen 2, it doesn't matter how they are distributed.

Maybe the chipset has gen 3 support? But that would be weird the chipset supporting a higher pcie revision than the cpu... I don't even know if the j4125 needs a chipset

I guess we are all learning, then.... Maybe the 128GB units should stay as is... and any upgrades go onto an altogether different project!!
With ram upgrade, 2x CMR Ironwolf's at 7200RPM SHR (30% full) and the M.2 caches, I may be as close to optimum as I'm ever gonna get!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.