Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Really happy with the performance of my new DS723+. Bought it on Amazon Prime Day for a good discount.
Added:

32GB of Timetec 32GB KIT(2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz Dual Rank
2 - Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD
Synology Network Upgrade Module 10GbE RJ-45
10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ-45 Transceiver, 10Gbe SFP+ Copper Ethernet CAT6a Module

The 10GbE Network performance is amazing going from 1GbE :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ4dOZf7i4

Really happy with the performance of my new DS723+. Bought it on Amazon Prime Day for a good discount.
Added:

32GB of Timetec 32GB KIT(2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz Dual Rank
2 - Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD
Synology Network Upgrade Module 10GbE RJ-45
10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ-45 Transceiver, 10Gbe SFP+ Copper Ethernet CAT6a Module

The 10GbE Network performance is amazing going from 1GbE :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ4dOZf7i4

One of my favorite models in the past year. 10G in a 2bay nas is slick

One of my favorite models in the past year. 10G in a 2bay nas is slick
Yes indeed, the expandability with a 5 bay DX517, 32MB Ram, NVMe, and 10GB NIC is quite a powerful NAS platform in a small package. It's also a lot quieter than my old 220+.

Yes indeed, the expandability with a 5 bay DX517, 32MB Ram, NVMe, and 10GB NIC is quite a powerful NAS platform in a small package. It's also a lot quieter than my old 220+.
Yep. Both 723 and 923 are proper devices when boosted with 10G and more ram/nvme. Enjoy!

RE:

Expected Lifespan for DS716+? Migrating to DS723+

Hi, I have (had) a DS716+, bought in Feb 2016. It's been working great until today (9 March 2024).

Now, the device doesn't want to start - The blue power light keeps flashing. I have removed all drives, tried to execute a reset to factor defaults, nothing happens after 1+ hour, even with no drives. No other indicator lights are on. So I am thinking this DS716+ has died.

Fortunately, I do not think I have lost any data. I was in the process of upgrading the hard drives from a 6TB to a 12 TB capacity and I had things in a mirroring RAID (SHR / RAID 1) configuration. I also have everything I could get from hyperbackup before I started the HDD upgrade process.

So my first question is - what's the lifespan of the actual synology hardware? Should I consider myself fortunate that the DS716+ has lasted this long? (I think the answer here is probably yes - but wanted to seek your experience / inputs). I paid $449USD - amortized it's $56/year.

I am somewhat resigned to getting a DS723+ or similar, only because I am already familiar with DSM; I am hopeful that I can just simply use the same 12 TB drives that were being recognized by the DSM previously.

The DS716+ unit died in between the secure erase of the first 6TB drive, but the 2nd 6TB drive has not undergone the secure delete process. So I am confident I have at least 4 copies of data - Hyperbackup, the 2 12 TB drives and one of the original 6 TB drives.

My second question is - Should I be able to mount the 12 TB drives into the new DS723 and should DSM on the unit recognize the same storage pools as before? I also have the relevant .DSS file as well that I could import into DSM.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

First of all, it is a real pity your unit died, hopefully you are able to transfer the disks. That should be no issue at all if the disks are in good health, the knowledge base is your friend.

About the lifespan. For sure this depends partly on the environmental conditions (read: dust, vibrations, power failures).
These units are realy dependable, only in rare cases I hear of failures. Personally (and that is for sure no statistical value) my DS207, DS212+, DS411J, DS415+ and now my DS620 have never failed on me (except a fan and an intel CPU bug:)). I replaced the units mainly because support was stopped, which typically for a + model is at least 6 years.
So I think you are quite unfortunate with the hardware.

Since you have many backed up variants I would be fairly confident to put the old drives into the new unit. At worse the you’ll end up having to to a full restore from Hyper Backup.

Depending on the DSM version you were using then there may be some missing DSM configuration: DSM 7 is more complete in its backup than DSM 6.

I would concur in that you are unfortunate in the DS716+ failing. The predominant NAS failures have been in the 2015 plus series that used the Intel C2000 Atom CPU, and that has a known fix by adding a resistor to the motherboard.

So once you have your new DS723+ setup I would use a/some spare drives and see if the 716 can be revived… take it to pieces and clean/reseat stuff and replace the battery. Before Synology, I had an Iomega/Lenovo ix2 that went faulty but was brought back to life with a good disassemble and clean. Used it as a backup destination until I updated my newer Synology NAS. It ran hot so and also was EOL.

Last edited:
Since you have many backed up variants I would be fairly confident to put the old drives into the new unit. At worse the you’ll end up having to to a full restore from Hyper Backup.

Depending on the DSM version you were using then there may be some missing DSM configuration: DSM 7 is more complete in its backup than DSM 6.

I would concur in that you are unfortunate in the DS716+ failing. The predominant NAS failures have been in the 2015 plus series that used the Intel C2000 Atom CPU, and that has a known fix by adding a resistor to the motherboard.

So once you have your new DS723+ setup I would use a/some spare drives and see if the 716 can be revived… take it to pieces and clean/reseat stuff and replace the battery. Before Synology, I had an Iomega/Lenovo ix2 that went faulty but was brought back to life with a good disassemble and clean. Used it as a backup destination until I updated my newer Synology NAS. It ran hot so and also was EOL.
Thanks so much for your reply. I must admit, I haven't done a current 'bare metal' restore of my 716+. While I think that I have current versions of everything, including the .DSS export file and theoretical knowledge of the restore process, there's nothing quite like exercising the drills! I did a bare metal restore of my DS716+, but admitedly that was probably in the DSM6.x era where I had been using a lot fewer features.

I cross-posted to Reddit /synlogy and one of the other users suggested replacing the power supply, so I am going to give that a try. On Synology's website, it's only $40USD with shippingm, so seems like a way to defer another ~$450 for the DSM723+.

Thanks!!
-- post merged: --

First of all, it is a real pity your unit died, hopefully you are able to transfer the disks. That should be no issue at all if the disks are in good health, the knowledge base is your friend.

About the lifespan. For sure this depends partly on the environmental conditions (read: dust, vibrations, power failures).
These units are realy dependable, only in rare cases I hear of failures. Personally (and that is for sure no statistical value) my DS207, DS212+, DS411J, DS415+ and now my DS620 have never failed on me (except a fan and an intel CPU bug:)). I replaced the units mainly because support was stopped, which typically for a + model is at least 6 years.
So I think you are quite unfortunate with the hardware.
Thanks for your reply! I also cross-posted this issue to the reddit /synology and one of the respondents there suggested it might be a faulty power supply. So, I am going to give that a try, as it would cost me only $40 rather than $450 for a new DSM 723+. That said, I am glad that synology is continuing to innovate its models, and I am thankful that they keep DSM current for the 716+.

I'm a digital packrat; I have 34 years of email and documents. I have shuffled data from floppy disk(s) to Bernoulli 44mb drives to Zip to DLT (don't ask) to CD/DVD and now HDD is economically feasible. So hopefully my 716+ can be revived with the new power supply, forgoing yet-another media reader that will eventually be sent to e-recyclers or the landfill at least for a few more years ;-)

Last edited:
... and also to the Synology Community 🙄
Who cares?? Do you only go to one news source to get your information? News worthy material are posted on different platforms covering the same story. Honestly the calling out and posting a link that these posts/questions are posted on other sources, is really unproductive to the question/issue at hand and just dumps junk posts that are useless on this platform. Smh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.