2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS918+ - Powerful and scalable 4-bay NAS for growing businesses
ds918+_big.png
High-speed scalable storage server
Synology DS918+ is designed for small and medium-sized businesses and IT enthusiasts. With a powerful built-in AES-NI hardware encryption engine, DS918+ provides exceptional encrypted file transmission. Also capable of transcoding up to two channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos at the same time, DS918+ is ideal for sharing and storing ultra-high definition media content.

For more information...

Read more about this resource...

... or discuss it below.

Been using this model as an upgrade to my 412+ model and I love it. Running with 12GB of ram, about 40 containers, SS, Plex (transcode) and a few other things, this device is a beast. Apart from the Intel cpu reported issue, this NAS is a powerhouse for sure and a safe buy for anyone looking for a lot of power and room.

I love the looks of the 918+, one of the nicest Synology designs.
I don’t like the looks of the 418j (no offense to anyone). I wouldn’t buy it if it made my tea and toasted my toast every morning :)
Well I don’t look at them that much so i don’t care really. But i hear you.

I did a quick calculation yesterday. Of the plus models the DS918+ is the best £ per bay of the 4K transcoders, and doesn’t include the M.2 slots. Still with the DX517 added. Next is the DS218+ and again with the expansion.

The DS418play is overall most cost effective if including non-expanding models.

4K transcoders are a niche subset of the range though :)

Back to my Excel calculation of how cost-effective the 4K transcoder models are per bay. Prices are from scan.com (UK reseller) and include VAT (sales tax) at 20%. The 218+ wasn't quite as good as the DS1019+ but I'm not planning to buy one :)

Comparing total bays regardless of redundancy:
1573315858506.png

Comparing usable bays when configured with SHR1 and expanding to the DX517 if possible:
1573315868148.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.