DJ216j unbrick help required

Currently reading
DJ216j unbrick help required

Hi, may I ask someone kind and willing which skilled enough to help me to unbrick my NAS which bricked due to the power outage during DSM update? I am cable to connect through serial console (putty) and transfer zImage and rd.bin (tftpd32) into it but facing "no ATAGS support: can't continue" message after bootm... Thanks in advance.

Syno reports NO server found. So status is such, that error mentioned above comes out during booting the kernel.

Power adapter should be OK, no sign it isn't. LEDs: Blue blinking, green stable lit or blinking upon traffic. Others off. As I mentioned, NAS is bricked, those are typical signs of it.

So,
try to remove all HDDs, Ethernet cable, USB devices attached from the NAS and try reboot again.
When there is still blue LED flashing (10-15 minutes from reboot), unfortunately your NAS is dead.
But when the blue LED is solid, you have chance to save your NAS.
Good luck with that!

What it should help to? I am connected to the NAS through the serial console. The command above just do nothing.

Well, as I mentioned, my NAS is bricked. It can't load OS saying wrong ramdisk image format, ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid. Simply said, code which should be transferred to the memory got incomplete because DRM update process was interrupted by power outage. Thats why there is ethernet connection and also reset not available. U-boot loader is intact, this allows me to use built-in serial console on PCB to connect via USB TTL converter using putty, establish communication with tftpd32 for loading kernel and ramdisk images into the memory, thats all I know. But I am just facing some issue during this process, because not really skilled, so I try to get help somewhere.

Wow. I think you’re skilled :)

Did you see this? Not exactly the same problem, but might help.

Well, as I mentioned, my NAS is bricked. It can't load OS saying wrong ramdisk image format, ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid. Simply said, code which should be transferred to the memory got incomplete because DRM update process was interrupted by power outage. Thats why there is ethernet connection and also reset not available. U-boot loader is intact, this allows me to use built-in serial console on PCB to connect via USB TTL converter using putty, establish communication with tftpd32 for loading kernel and ramdisk images into the memory, thats all I know. But I am just facing some issue during this process, because not really skilled, so I try to get help somewhere.
it was my idea, posted early. The flash chip in PCB needs to be replaced, you need order new one, then renew by U-boot. But you need take into consideration soldiering experiences, time and cost consumption vs new NAS purchase (advantages).

Don't plan to undergo such torture, I still hope there is U-boot in order ie. ROM is intact, I made some basic mem test with no problem. I have found some info about moving ram to flash, erasing the flash before it and flash unlock and lock necessary before moving. So thats my hope now...

So recovered, but not fully. I face blue LED flashing, no reset, no restart and no sw power off problems... :-/

I suceeded to unbrick it fully in the result. Now when box is ok, I need to arrange the HDDs with data and I have few questions:

I used 2x4TB RAID1 configuration on ext4 drives. All data seems intact.
1) Do I need to upload exactly same DSM version on my DS prior inserting HDDs as was the old?/new? version at the time of the accident (last January)? I suppose that the loader files of the DSM on the HDD are corrupted anyway.
2) Do I need to erase any loader files/folders on the HDDs first? If yes, which?
3) How should I make it best to put both HDDs into same slots, get the system up-to-date and fully ready while retaining all the icluded data any different way?
Thanks for any helpful suggestion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.