Do Over, Wordpress Hosting on 920+ DSM 7.1

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Error from external device not on lan. "This site can't be reached. sitename.synology.me took too long to respond"

I get a normal test result in DDNS tab but connection fails here? I've un installed Wordpress and all related pakages and re-installed fresh. Manually opened ports 80 and 443 on router. Firewall allows all at these ports. Still can't make a connection with the hostname.synology.me tool. Any ideas on what I might have wrong? I did get a DB error see 1st screen snip, but did the DB repair. Site is accessible locally and seems to be working fine. I hope I dont' have to factory Reset the NAS. The first WP install process was interreupted (I had to step away from the computer) thay may have jacked something we'll never know about.
1670703583973.png

1670703253184.png
1670703325500.png

Attachments

• 1670703142144.png
    1670703142144.png
    22 KB · Views: 8
  • 1670703233109.png
    1670703233109.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
Would suggest not using upnp port configuration, but rather opening them up manually on the router. Now you have this WP instance running over your reverse proxy so it lands on 443 right?

Accessing your DDNS name will not work over 80/443 as those are default nginx ports, so you will have to use reverse to redirect requests further to channel them to your WP instance.

How did you install WP? Bare metal or Docker?

Would suggest not using upnp port configuration, but rather opening them up manually on the router. Now you have this WP instance running over your reverse proxy so it lands on 443 right?

Accessing your DDNS name will not work over 80/443 as those are default nginx ports, so you will have to use reverse to redirect requests further to channel them to your WP instance.

How did you install WP? Bare metal or Docker?
I installed it via the package center, so I guess bare metal. Never looked at docker.

agreed, don’t use the router configuration on the nas. This uses upnp protocol where it will talk to your router and put those port forwards into your router for you. You want to manually do it yourself to have control of what’s opened.

Additionally I see the four options in that router configuration, my guess is at one point you had all four enabled. That was why you’re having so much problems. You cannot port forward 2 different services using one port number, doing it that way you’d have to do custom port forwarding.

If you want to do one port number (80 or 443) for many services then reverse proxy comes into play. 443 is port forwarded to your rp then at the rp you send the traffic out to different services. It’s the same if you wanted to do custom port forwards for each of the services but then you’d have to enter each custom port to get to the service you want. Reverse proxy is driven by a subdomain name.

Before you were attempting to create two different domain names for two different services, but you were using the same port number for it without having a reverse proxy setup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.