Do You Used Synology Active Backup For Business ? This may be important if you do.

Currently reading
Do You Used Synology Active Backup For Business ? This may be important if you do.

I doubt it.
Synology main focus is for home users with 4bay NASes (still and many years)
Then less part of the NAS owners (minority) are ABB business driven usage or knowledge driven people. What makes the question unclear: how is the ABB positioning defined?
Since ABM365 requires a business account and needs to be setup with the M365 business account admin credentials that would imply that for these 'for Business' packages there is an assumption by, at least, these product teams, if not Synology as a whole, that these are aimed at business users. That this may be at odds with the majority that buys the boxes but doesn't mean that there is a desire to steer this oil tanker using a teaspoon towards businesses.

got your point,
but here is the but:
Active Backup for Microsoft 365 protects Microsoft Teams data stored in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online.
means to protect data running on MS Business Basic/Standard/… infrastructure which is by design running with backup services. Hm. Where is the usefulness of the Syno ABB356 product? E.g. in case when the MS account is compromised?
But the NAS is more easy compromised than the MS account = we know how people is running the NASes or the network security, even in the SME segment = it’s a disaster.

Guys, not sure if I'm being stupid or what but all I did to get around this problem is generate a 10 year self signed cert, applied it against ABB and re-auth'd the clients. Seems to work :)

Guys, not sure if I'm being stupid or what but all I did to get around this problem is generate a 10 year self signed cert, applied it against ABB and re-auth'd the clients. Seems to work :)
That's one way to do it. Provided the self-signed certificate doesn't change then the extra step to trust the certificate will last, until it does change. But DSM 7 has removed the ability to create these certificates.

I had read that - I'm on DSM 7.0.1 and generated a 10 year certificate on another platform which I then uploaded to the DS220+. Is it simply that certificates can no longer be generated on the Synology then?

Have a look in DSM 7 Control Panel and you’ll see there is now only the option for creating Let’s Encrypt certificates.

That means they’ll be renewing every 3 months and if you don’t use a ABB server name in the client that is covered by the certificate… the connection will stall at that point until you reconfirm you trust the connection again. And for each client device.

Like you I have created a 10 year self-signed certificate as a fallback, if I ever need it, and that was using SRM (maybe with DSM 6 too, can’t remember).

LATE HEADS-UP
DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4 mostly resolved this issue by changing the expiration from ≈90 days to 1-year. All endpoint clients will have to re-authorize annually, but that is 3x better than what we had. :rolleyes:

Who knows, by the time 1-yr rolls around DSM may be handling it internally. That would be nice.

I encountered it personally and confirmed it in the DSM software. The issue was a bit of overlooked code in DSM 7 that they just need to get around to fixing, which the evenually did.

I had setup our shop with recurring timers and step-by-step instructions for all users to follow every time this lunacy took place. Last September it came time for the 90-day nuisance, but it passed without ever making an appearance on any of our endpoints. That prompted me to poke around and, voilà! There it was, engineering had finally taken care of the issue that users and tech support had been screaming about for months.

I encountered it personally and confirmed it in the DSM software. The issue was a bit of overlooked code in DSM 7 that they just need to get around to fixing, which the evenually did.

I had setup our shop with recurring timers and step-by-step instructions for all users to follow every time this lunacy took place. Last September it came time for the 90-day nuisance, but it passed without ever making an appearance on any of our endpoints. That prompted me to poke around and, voilà! There it was, engineering had finally taken care of the issue that users and tech support had been screaming about for months.

Ah good call. I was going to say, I always read release notes and definitely would have paid attention to if this was in there. Just recently I noticed I had to go into ABB and even Drive client and re trust the cert. All this time I had thought something I did had resolved ever getting the cert error, but it was just that they extended the timeframe I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.