Docker conclusion

NAS
Synology DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Having own a 220+ for little over a year I have come to the conclusion that Docker is mainly for home lab owners. Most applications are in my opinion either a bit pale or oriented towards homelab stuff. So far I have only been attracted by vaultwarden.

I might be completely wrong on this but this is how it looks to me.

What is your opinion on this, do you agree or think I am all wrong?

Please share your honest thoughts, I am truly interested in hearing what others think.

Regards,
Roger

While I would agree, for the most part, there are some apps/services that are just as Bitwarden worth running (if those are indeed needed).

Analytics, web hosting, support apps etc.

I also use a lot of homelab apps for various use cases, but on top of those there are some that I find production worth daily:

• Bitwarden
  • Ghost (blog)
  • Matomo
  • MySQL, Postgres (DBs)
  • Obsidian
  • Mattermost
  • FreshRSS
  • ShellNGN
  • Wireguard
  • NPM (reverse proxy)
  • Grafana

These would be my top docker-deployed solutions. Along those, there are at least 15-20 less important but still day-to-day needed apps that I run.

The fact is that Synology has opened Docker to DSM for a reason (in 7.2.2 Syno will update Docker to the current version finally), and their clean-up of 3rd party apps inside Package Center proves that. Also, more and more solutions are Docker-ready out the gate, so it is up to the developer(s) if they will support Docker as a platform or not, but the way things are moving, containers are the way to go.

It's fair to say that Docker made working with containers so easy that even the everyman is able to run containers on it. After all it's one of the most efficient and convenient ways to run isolated applications on one or multiple hosts.

Containers are a standard tool in the tool belt of DevOps teams. They often use Docker Desktop for quick local development and testing, package applications as images and use them as delivery mechanism, then typically run them as containers in Kubernetes clusters, and rarely in Docker Swarm clusters. Both orchestrators are known to support 4000+ nodes (=hosts) and allow running applications at scale with ease and self-healing capabilities. Most CI/CD pipelines make use of containers to run pipeline jobs. The developers and ops of enterprises and open source communities were the driving force that made it into a success, long time before docker became a common runtime for home lab enthusiasts.

Whatever application you are looking for, you will high likely find as image on Docker Hub. Either as official image directly published by the application maintainer or the docker library team, or from an independent 3rd party maintainer.

I'd say a fraction of images on Dockerhub are mainly intended for home lab use, most of them don't even work in enterprise environments because of enforced policies. Some maintainers indeed focus on home lab users, like the images from linuxserver.

Hi and thanks for sharing your knowledge! I must admit that I feel somewhat disappointed on Docker. I like the low resource usage and failry ease of setup and will keep an eye on available apps to run. My initial thoughts might change. Cheers again for the input!

What I was trying to say is that I was hoping for more apps that I would find useful. Guess I could have understood better if I done more research before I got my first Synology. I like reading and discovering what is available so I hope I will find myself wrong later on.

Docker is just a container runtime. A container is just an isolated process on the host, that believes it is running on its own host. Docker Inc. on the other hand is the company that runs Docker Hub and maintains Docker Desktop, though in Docker Hub they are only responsible for the library repositories of popular open source applications and services. None of their images particularly aim for the homelab audience (but they are still used in most). You can run most Linux headless applications and services as a container.

Like with everything in life you will need to figure out for yourself what you want to run. There is no ultimate "docker" list as everyone uses Docker differently (and many even in very bizarre ways thinking that containers are vms). I assume with "feel somewhat disappointed", you mean you didn't find the right images that provide the applications you are looking for? Or is it rather that you are disappointed that you have to learn its concepts to make proper use of it? I could understand both :)

you mean you didn't find the right images that provide the applications you are looking for? Or is it rather that you are disappointed that you have to learn its concepts to make proper use of it? I could understand both :)
I would says its the first of these.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.