DSM 7.1 Docker duplicated and renamed containers

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I’m running several containers like f.e. Plex and yesterday I saw that on one way or another the container changed its name:

CE158E0D-7561-4090-A720-D08BCA560254.jpeg

I tried to rename it, but docker gave me the warning that the name has already been in use but the container was nowhere to be found. I used ssh to find that container and I could delete it via terminal.

But in the screenshot I also have the same problem with radarr. It’s in fact even worse: I can’t rename it back and there’s no existing container with that name. It’s also nowhere to be found via terminal. So I just renamed it to radarr_ and 5 minutes later the name changed back automatically to the name above!

Does anyone know what’s going on?

You can use SSH to run docker commands. You have to use sudo to run the command with elevated privilege. Use this command to get a list of the current containers:

Bash:
sudo docker container ls

I've not seen automatic recreation of containers, do you have some scripts or other service that is running to check on these containers and that may create them if it thinks they aren't present?

I tried that, Plex was found so I stopped it and deleted it via ssh. Radarr was’t running another instance but still couldn’t rename it. It stated that there was already another container with that same name. Very strange

I tried that, Plex was found so I stopped it and deleted it via ssh. Radarr was’t running another instance but still couldn’t rename it. It stated that there was already another container with that same name. Very strange
How did you initially configure these containers? Using docker commands via cli, syno UI, or some other platform like Portainer?

How did you initially configure these containers? Using docker commands via cli, syno UI, or some other platform like Portainer?

First I used the UI from Synology DSM. Because I got write permissions error and I couldn’t solve the problem, I used this guide:

I used the automated script instead the step by step guide. If course, I deleted the existing containers before using the guide…

Have you asked on Trash discord server for assistance? Reason I'm asking is that Bokkoman praises that scrip and Trash guides (considering he is contributing to them), so maybe it would be good to ask him how the scrip works.

Also, this script was tuned for DSM7 (not that it will not work on 6), so maybe there are some problems there, and finally they use Pullio for docker container update, maybe there is the problem.

There is a cron job configured 0 3 * * 7 (so 3AM on Sunday, not really a standard cron definition but ok), so again, could be some issue with Pullio that's going on here.

Also, Pullio works with docker-compose deployed containers, so using them any other way will probably break it, what's happening to you (this is just my guess looking at the script and pullio method).

Have you looked at the script at all?

Well, I just took a dive into the steps because I used the automated script and I think Pullio bricked something. I see some error in the logs because pullio refers to the standard structure /volume1/data and I changed my mapping to /volume1/media. That could be the reason why some containers just stopped working running suddendly…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.