Solved Docker & Freeradius & NAS problems

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Dear All,

We have been using a Raspberry Pi as a Freeradius/Daloradius server in our school for years. It works perfectly, but we would like to replace it with a Docker image, so we can use the hardware on other projects. After struggling with it for weeks I have managed to move our system into an Ubuntu image successfully, or so it has seemed. After setting everything up, I realized that it doesn't accept any connections at all. The problem is that the system supposed to accept connections from the IPs of the APs only and it seems that the image believes that all connections come from this address: 172.17.0.1. If I add it to the list of NASes (Network Access Server) everything work.

I am sure that this is because of the way docker images communicate from the outside world, but I hope that there is a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Márton

NAS: Synology DS1517+, 16Gb Ram
Docker: Ubuntu 16.04, Freeradius 2.0, Daloradius 1.1-3

if you want to retain the source ip's, you will need to remove the container from the bridge network and assign it to the host network (see: Docker UI -> Networks -> Manage)

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, It is not possible for me to manage the host network, it is greyed out. I saw that if I build a new docker image I can add that image to the host network, but I am afraid that if I do that I will mess up something else (several services run on the NAS, a directory server among others).

1590435369970.png

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
Just recreate the container in question and assign it to the host network. If you feel you are up for it you can even do this via ssh using docker commands without removing the container from synology ui. All in all no changes are needed on the network section just the container

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Just recreate the container in question and assign it to the host network. If you feel you are up for it you can even do this via ssh using docker commands without removing the container from synology ui. All in all no changes are needed on the network section just the container
Thank you! So it won't cause any problems with the Synology's local network? I was afraid to do that because I have read somewhere that in this case, the two systems share everything, including port numbers.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
Changes in a single container, or any number of containers will not affect the network side. If you simply recreate the container using the host network then you will be just fine.

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Thank you! I will give it a try tomorrow.

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
"You just have to make sure that the ports that the docker app is using don't conflict with existing services running on the server. For example if a docker is running a port 80 service, you can't use it on the host network along with a native web server at the same time. "

This is what I am afraid of...

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/8rxykg

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
If that will be the case, you will not be able to start/create the container in the 1st place. Any conflicts will not be permitted and will be detected if the port is reserved and/or in use.

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
:) Thank you anyway. I appreciated your time as well. Now, that I know what I have to do, I will be able to re-install the system in record time.

re-install? I do hope that you actualy use an image and map a volume to the conatiner to store persistent data outside the container. A re-creation of a container typicaly is a matter of second - if volume are used typcialy without using state.

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Well, I was experimenting with that, but no, not with this built. Anyway, it is a simple image with the radius server only. I have the database file with the settings and I can reinstall everything else fairly quickly. I am more afraid of messing something up with the network. Especially now, that we teach from home and the OpenVPN server runs on the Synology. :)

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Thank you! Everything works now :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!