Solved Docker & Freeradius & NAS problems

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Dear All,

We have been using a Raspberry Pi as a Freeradius/Daloradius server in our school for years. It works perfectly, but we would like to replace it with a Docker image, so we can use the hardware on other projects. After struggling with it for weeks I have managed to move our system into an Ubuntu image successfully, or so it has seemed. After setting everything up, I realized that it doesn't accept any connections at all. The problem is that the system supposed to accept connections from the IPs of the APs only and it seems that the image believes that all connections come from this address: 172.17.0.1. If I add it to the list of NASes (Network Access Server) everything work.

I am sure that this is because of the way docker images communicate from the outside world, but I hope that there is a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Márton

NAS: Synology DS1517+, 16Gb Ram
Docker: Ubuntu 16.04, Freeradius 2.0, Daloradius 1.1-3

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, It is not possible for me to manage the host network, it is greyed out. I saw that if I build a new docker image I can add that image to the host network, but I am afraid that if I do that I will mess up something else (several services run on the NAS, a directory server among others).

1590435369970.png

Just recreate the container in question and assign it to the host network. If you feel you are up for it you can even do this via ssh using docker commands without removing the container from synology ui. All in all no changes are needed on the network section just the container

Just recreate the container in question and assign it to the host network. If you feel you are up for it you can even do this via ssh using docker commands without removing the container from synology ui. All in all no changes are needed on the network section just the container

Thank you! So it won't cause any problems with the Synology's local network? I was afraid to do that because I have read somewhere that in this case, the two systems share everything, including port numbers.

"You just have to make sure that the ports that the docker app is using don't conflict with existing services running on the server. For example if a docker is running a port 80 service, you can't use it on the host network along with a native web server at the same time. "

This is what I am afraid of...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

:) Thank you anyway. I appreciated your time as well. Now, that I know what I have to do, I will be able to re-install the system in record time.

Well, I was experimenting with that, but no, not with this built. Anyway, it is a simple image with the radius server only. I have the database file with the settings and I can reinstall everything else fairly quickly. I am more afraid of messing something up with the network. Especially now, that we teach from home and the OpenVPN server runs on the Synology. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.