Currently reading
Docker Help. First Container - haugene/transmission-openvpn

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
In an attempt to try and learn a bit about Docker, I installed and created my first container. Transmission seems to be a popular image so I thought I would give it a shot.

I followed this tutorial exactly: How To Set Up Transmission through a VPN on a Synology NAS with Docker | Jimmy Le

All seems to be running but unable to connect to the local browser interface. I am using "IP address:local port" and Safari is giving me "Cant open page because server isn't responding".
When I check the container logs I am getting: "Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol"

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this?
It may be easier for me to just kill this container and start over with a diff tutorial? Thoughts?

AG

In an attempt to try and learn a bit about Docker, I installed and created my first container. Transmission seems to be a popular image so I thought I would give it a shot.

I followed this tutorial exactly: How To Set Up Transmission through a VPN on a Synology NAS with Docker | Jimmy Le

All seems to be running but unable to connect to the local browser interface. I am using "IP address:local port" and Safari is giving me "Cant open page because server isn't responding".
When I check the container logs I am getting: "Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol"

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this?
It may be easier for me to just kill this container and start over with a diff tutorial? Thoughts?

AG
Give this a go

Jeyare - I went into my firewall settings to assure that my ports were not blocked per your recommendation. Also I added a screenshot below for you to see.

Rusty - I tried to follow that tutorial you sent me but it seemed to just send me further down the rabbit hole. And I don't have enough knowledge to know what codes are standard and what codes would apply to BitTorrent and not Transmission. I did however save the write up and I continue to reference it.

Ok, I just deleted the first container and started from scratch using this tutorial.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Started fresh but now I am still continuing to get the same error in my log over and over. This tells me that there is something I am missing as a new user. Maybe a script somewhere that I am copying verbatim and not entering my proprietary info???

My log spits out the same thing over and over. Something tells me that the error code "No VPN configuration provided" and "Cannot resolve host address: ams-a03.ipvanish.com:443" are probably due to the same error Im making somewhere. Possibly in the environment settings?

Using OpenVPN provider: IPVANISH
stdout
02:08:06No VPN configuration provided. Using default.
stdout
02:08:06Setting OPENVPN credentials...
stdout
02:08:06adding route to local network 192.168.0.0/24 via 172.17.0.1 dev eth0
stdout
02:08:06Mon Aug 10 02:08:06 2020 WARNING: --keysize is DEPRECATED and will be removed in OpenVPN 2.6
stdout
02:08:06Mon Aug 10 02:08:06 2020 OpenVPN 2.4.7 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Sep 5 2019
stdout
02:08:06Mon Aug 10 02:08:06 2020 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1c 28 May 2019, LZO 2.10
stdout
02:08:06Mon Aug 10 02:08:06 2020 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
stdout
02:08:16Mon Aug 10 02:08:16 2020 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: ams-a03.ipvanish.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)
stdout
02:08:26Mon Aug 10 02:08:26 2020 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: ams-a03.ipvanish.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)
stdout
02:08:26Mon Aug 10 02:08:26 2020 Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol
stdout
02:08:26Mon Aug 10 02:08:26 2020 SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting

Rusty - I tried to follow that tutorial you sent me but it seemed to just send me further down the rabbit hole. And I don't have enough knowledge to know what codes are standard and what codes would apply to BitTorrent and not Transmission. I did however save the write up and I continue to reference it.
What exact problem are you having with this container?

What exact problem are you having with this container?
first and foremost, Im unable to access transmission. I am trying to interact via the web gui but the page will not open.

Contacting IPVanish directly, I just received a response that IPVanish support believes that the name resolution error is due to "that docker container failing to resolve DNS queries. Please verify and let us know if you need further assistance".

Still not clear statement about local connection:

Are you able to connect to Transmission from a local computer by LAN to NAS?

"your NAS LAN IP":port

be sure that you will use the Local port defined in you in Docker GUI (Port section)
don't use Container port

e.g.
or https
follow your ports setup

first and foremost, Im unable to access transmission. I am trying to interact via the web gui but the page will not open.

Contacting IPVanish directly, I just received a response that IPVanish support believes that the name resolution error is due to "that docker container failing to resolve DNS queries. Please verify and let us know if you need further assistance".
Well, my question was regarding the qbittorrent image, not the Transmission one. What problem are you having with that other image?

Still not clear statement about local connection:

Are you able to connect to Transmission from a local computer by LAN to NAS?

"your NAS LAN IP":port

be sure that you will use the Local port defined in you in Docker GUI (Port section)
don't use Container port

e.g.
or https
follow your ports setup
Hi Jeyare, I have been trying to connect via the web GUI because I want aware there is any other way to connect direct to transmission. Is there a way to access at admission directly within the NAS?

I created the the container port and docker port to be the same so I wouldn’t make a mistake later.

Well, my question was regarding the qbittorrent image, not the Transmission one. What problem are you having with that other image?
Hi Rusty, thank you for your time. I have not tried to create a qbitorrent image. Both attempts at creating a container have been with installation of Transmission.

I hate feeling so ignorant on this type of stuff. I have started taking classes in Linux. Once completed I will start classes on Docker. I realize I need to be able to correspond more intelligibly. I have you guys chasing issues for me and I don’t even really know how to relay the problem. I appreciate the attempt you and Jeyare have put forth to help me.

Hi Rusty, thank you for your time. I have not tried to create a qbitorrent image. Both attempts at creating a container have been with installation of Transmission.

I hate feeling so ignorant on this type of stuff. I have started taking classes in Linux. Once completed I will start classes on Docker. I realize I need to be able to correspond more intelligibly. I have you guys chasing issues for me and I don’t even really know how to relay the problem. I appreciate the attempt you and Jeyare have put forth to help me.

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but want you to know you aren't alone. I've tried installing many things with Docker on my DS718+, and not a single one of them has ever worked properly. Some worked partially, but none of them ever worked 100% like they were supposed to. Every one was tried through what was supposedly a step-by-step tutorial, but it always seemed they were missing steps, or had steps that didn't match what I was seeing on my screen when trying to install. More than a few times I had to try and piece together missing information trying to get them to work, but with no luck. Countless hours of installing, reinstalling, troubleshooting, and still none of them worked properly. I've pretty much given up on Docker altogether. I'm not telling you to give up, just saying that Docker is nowhere near as simple as a lot of folks claim it to be. I suppose I need to find a Docker college course to learn the intricacies of it if I decide to pursue it again. I see there are a lot of folks that run tons of Docker containers here, and am always left wondering how the hell they got anything working, so the problem must either be with me or my DS718+. Anyhow, even though it isn't working for me, keep trying. I am new to this Forum, but it seems like there are some very helpful and knowledgeable folks on here. Cya around!

Tim

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but want you to know you aren't alone. I've tried installing many things with Docker on my DS718+, and not a single one of them has ever worked properly. Some worked partially, but none of them ever worked 100% like they were supposed to. Every one was tried through what was supposedly a step-by-step tutorial, but it always seemed they were missing steps, or had steps that didn't match what I was seeing on my screen when trying to install. More than a few times I had to try and piece together missing information trying to get them to work, but with no luck. Countless hours of installing, reinstalling, troubleshooting, and still none of them worked properly. I've pretty much given up on Docker altogether. I'm not telling you to give up, just saying that Docker is nowhere near as simple as a lot of folks claim it to be. I suppose I need to find a Docker college course to learn the intricacies of it if I decide to pursue it again. I see there are a lot of folks that run tons of Docker containers here, and am always left wondering how the hell they got anything working, so the problem must either be with me or my DS718+. Anyhow, even though it isn't working for me, keep trying. I am new to this Forum, but it seems like there are some very helpful and knowledgeable folks on here. Cya around!

Tim
Welcome to the forum Tim. We will always help out as much as we all can. If you have a specific Docker related question (or any other topic) if would be best to start a new fresh thread (unless there is an existing one or an existing discussion in the Resource section) and take it from there.

Docker, once you get the hang of it is from a usage perspective easy, but it is true that there are some things that you have to understand in order to get it going. Most repos (images) are following the same principal no matter how complex or simple they are, but in some cases there are also specific scenarios, so it can get confusing at times.

Again, be sure to not give up, considering that running anything 3rd party on Synology might come as a luxury in the near future (or long term) unless you get yourself familiar with Docker.

Tjohn34,
You are spot on. Please let me know when you find the simple video. I've watched most of them and still can't get it to work. No one truly takes it step by step.. I will note that similarly Chinese is easy to use once you get the hang of it but...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.