Docker on DS416play

Currently reading
Docker on DS416play

NAS
DS416play
I installed docker on my DS416play using ssh but cannot get it to start.

docker version returns:
Client: Docker Engine - Community
Version: 19.03.9
API version: 1.40
Go version: go1.13.10
Git commit: 9d988398e7
Built: Fri May 15 00:22:47 2020
OS/Arch: linux/amd64
Experimental: false

Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

sudo dockerd returns:
INFO[2020-06-11T18:50:12.883427714-05:00] Starting up
failed to create API server: Could not load X509 key pair (cert: "/var/docker/server.pem", key: "/var/docker/serverkey.pem"): open /var/docker/server.pem: no such file or directory

Any ideas?

P.S. I have tried side loading docker .spk from DS216+, DS216+II, and several others which don't install for me

By default non privileged users lack permissions to use the docker cli.
Try either one of those commands to become root:
- sudo -i
- sudo -s
- sudo su -

sudo dockerd returns:
INFO[2020-06-11T18:50:12.883427714-05:00] Starting up
failed to create API server: Could not load X509 key pair (cert: "/var/docker/server.pem", key: "/var/docker/serverkey.pem"): open /var/docker/server.pem: no such file or directory

Any ideas?
Normaly you don't need to start dockerd by yourself. On Synology the installer takes of this. On general Linux the systemd service is created, but not active (=as in does not start after a boot).

By default non privileged users lack permissions to use the docker cli.
Try either one of those commands to become root:
- sudo -i
- sudo -s
- sudo su -

Normaly you don't need to start dockerd by yourself. On Synology the installer takes of this. On general Linux the systemd service is created, but not active (=as in does not start after a boot).

I have run dockerd & command as root and I have followed this from Docker regarding manually installing the binaries Install Docker Engine from binaries

still a no go :( any other ideas?

Running VPN? ... At one time Docker couldn't create a network for itself when starting if a VPN is running.
Error starting daemon: Error initializing network controller: list bridge addresses failed: no available network · Issue #123 · docker/for-linux
I disabled the VPN and tried running dockerd as root and still get the same message...

on a side not, your comment about disabling VPN prompted me to re-try manually installing the spk from other similar Synology 4-bay packages with the VPN off but I also get the "Failed to install Docker" message

The binary install expects a full blown linux, while synology is more of an appliance. I would be surprised if you mage to make it work. I even tried to replache binaries from the docker packe and even cross compiled my own using the synology toolset... nothing worked.

Other then the SPK? Nope.

Last edited:
If you error is "The package not support on the platform of DiskStation", you could try if messing around with the spk helps. Just rename the *.spk to *.zip and open it in 7zip, WinRAR or whatever achive manager you use. If I am not mistakend the INFO file includes requirments, you could tinker around with:

You NAS has a cpu of the braswell architecture, which should be a x86_64 cpu. Are you running an older DSM version?

Some properties i found interessting in the INFO file:

arch="x86_64"
exclude_arch="dockerx64"
firmware="6.1-15163"
os_min_ver="6.1-15163"
extractsize="237864"
toolkit_version="25382"

If you are not affraid of a steep learning curve, you could try to adapt this blod post K3S on Synology — What if it works? and install kubernetes using the k3 distro. It will allow to run the same container-images and provide a way more powerfull control on how to constraint and configure everything. If you combine it with helm, you get a pretty easy way to deploy even complex setups.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.