Docker or Portainer or just plain install Nextcloud?

Currently reading
Docker or Portainer or just plain install Nextcloud?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm going to destroy my current Nextcloud installation which is in Docker and reinstall all fresh and clean.

Options are via Docker with Nextcloud, MariaDB and phpMyAdmin. (What I have now which is broken, thus the reinstall.)

Or via Portainer. I' not sure what or why. What does Portainer actually do. Do I want or need it?

Or just install Nextcloud into www and use the 'official' MariaDB 10, phpMyAdmin, PHP 7.4 and Apache 2.4. Why not? Other than Nextcloud all the others will be updated by Synology as and when. So kind of simpler from a maintenance point of view. I only have to keep an eye on Nextcloud.

On the other hand I might just move everything to iCloud or Microsoft 365... ;)

Personally, I'd say do it via docker.

I use portainer when I get into trouble (stuck containers which I can't seem to find via CLI being an example)

I've spent a fair amount of time moving away from Synology packages.
Various reasons but an important one was when GDPR came into effect in the UK I contacted Synology and pointed out that the version of MariaDB was so far out of date any business using their version was in breach of GDPR. Their response was that it needed to be submitted as a feature request to update it....... Even then there wasn't anything to say that they would.
Another is that a fair number of their packages are miles out of date compared to current versions from the software makers.

I don't plan to buy another Synology, so when I need to build a new NAS I'll be doing it from "scratch" except I won't as I'll just move my docker folder, modify the .env file so the new drive mappings are then correct and bring it all back up again on the new hardware.

I like Docker way too. You can easily transfer to other hardware if needed someday. With Portainer many things are easier to do. You can easily use docker-compose for instance or use stacks to combine multiple images.

Anyway, I don't use Nextcloud. I use Drive and Photos from Synology and it is doing its job for me. I don't think they will discontinue those 2 applications in the near future. On the contrary, I think they will continue to develop them and add new features.

Also, I've never seen the need for services such as Nextcloud for my workflow. But understand, it depends on what you actually need and do.

an important one was when GDPR came into effect in the UK I contacted Synology and pointed out that the version of MariaDB was so far out of date any business using their version was in breach of GDPR
I don't want to get sidetracked, but say more. The Synology MariaDB 10 is 10.3 which is four years old and will be supported for another couple. But how is it not GDPR compliant? Surely its what you do with it, not the product itself?
You can easily transfer to other hardware if needed someday.
So this seems to be the Big Thing about Docker. Say I don't follow your advice and I need to move to a bigger, better Synology NAS. What would I have to do? Reinstall Nextcloud, import the mySQL database? Is that so hard? I can see if I had a couple of dozen apps running, but just one or two?

Also, I've never seen the need for services such as Nextcloud for my workflow. But understand, it depends on what you actually need and do.
For me its a CalDAV which allows 'to do' sharing. You can share calendars with Synology Calendar - which is nice enough and would work for me - but it doesn't share the 'to do' lists. Nextcloud does and although I have my problems with it, it does what I need.

Looking at my options I actually think Synology Drive might be better than Nextcloud for my file sharing. But still I need to share 'to do's.
-- post merged: --

You can easily use docker-compose for instance or use stacks to combine multiple images.
Might be easy if I had a clue what it all means.... ;)

I like Docker way too. You can easily transfer to other hardware if needed someday. With Portainer many things are easier to do. You can easily use docker-compose for instance or use stacks to combine multiple images.

Anyway, I don't use Nextcloud. I use Drive and Photos from Synology and it is doing its job for me. I don't think they will discontinue those 2 applications in the near future. On the contrary, I think they will continue to develop them and add new features.

two reasons that I'm experimenting with Nextcloud are:

1. I can have offline files in my mobile phone and store files there and use them even with no connection with the server. I couldn't do the same with Drive (at least a few months ago, I don't know if this is fixed)

2. I need Windows and Linux clients (Fedora in my case). Unfortunately no support for Fedora from Synology.

On the other hand, Drive is a turn-key solution, ready in seconds, built-in in DSM.
Nextcloud needs some time to set-up, configure, back-up etc.

IIRR it was because the version that Synology offered at the time didn't support database encryption. But this was a while ago and I've slept since.

portainer is essentially a gui for docker. Rusty, like me prefers using docker cli, as I said I use portainer as a gui when I get into trouble.

portainer is essentially a gui for docker. Rusty, like me prefers using docker cli
Ah, see now. I prefer to keep away from the command line. Too hard and dangerous. Only use it when I have to... But isn't the Synology Docker a GUI? Is there any point in my having Portainer and the Synology Docker app?

I personally can't stand the Synology Docker GUI. It also doesn't support docker-compose which Portainer does.

For me its a CalDAV which allows 'to do' sharing. You can share calendars with Synology Calendar - which is nice enough and would work for me - but it doesn't share the 'to do' lists. Nextcloud does and although I have my problems with it, it does what I need.
Yes, for To-do lists I don't know what to say here because I don't use NC. Maybe you can use Drive and use To-do lists over Docker or some other system.

For Docker and Portainer, Rusty and Akira already covered that above. If you need any help with Docker or Portainer, just use the search on this forum or open a new thread here: Docker

You prefer Docker or you like running Docker in ("over") Portainer?
In fact, I run 99% in Portainer but with a docker-compose method that I would run either way via cli the same way.

The reason I use CLI is that I can multi-task with multiple hosts at the same time and have a much more clear view of other elements that need my attention (deleting unused images, volumes, etc).

So all in all, Portainer is my go-to tool as Synology docker UI is really poor when compared (especially when you need certain docker features).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.