NAS
DS414j, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,
I'm currently running docker on a DSM 7.1 (DS920+) for a small business in order to install moodle.

So far things went well when the NAS was at my home, and I could configure it from a local IP address. However, things got complicated since I moved to the business location, and attached the NAS to the new router. Webstation is working fine, but anything else is not reaching out from the outside world.

As I'm a part-time IT admin, I often forget simple things (I hold 4 jobs at the same time, in many different fields). I know there might be something to do with port redirection on the router, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to set it up correctly.

My problem is that I installed portainer on docker, and now, I can't ssh into the NAS (IP address doens't seem to redirect to the NAS even if I can connect through Quickconnect) (yes, it's enabled), and any other running docker images with specific ports are not accessible from remote location (i.e. https://<quickconnectID>:<port>).

Can you help me ?
Thanks a lot

PS : I tried to install third-party apps to get a emulator on the DSM, either on docker or directly on the DSM, but it seems I can't access them either (Yes, I'm administrator).

Welcome!

The general idea is that you will have to open ports on your router in order to get to those apps/services running internally.

Have you done that?

Considering that the traffic is coming over the internet to your internal on it has to cross over your router. Make sure the ports are open.

On a more secure topic it would be highly recommended that you use reverse proxy for these scenarios as you can then expose one single port and not multiple ones (one for each app). Ofc that would mean that each app will have to be under its custom subdomain name and have a valid ssl cert.

Thanks for you answer.

Ouch, that's what I thought. Well today I opened ports in the router. However, reverse proxy is my downfall, I never manage to set up one correctly, always fails. Any advice on how 'not to mess it all up' ? (Greatly appreciated)

ssl certs are another problem. I tried to get the Let's Encrypt cert, but it seems I'm fmissing something every time. Got some tips ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.