Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

Currently reading
Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Not a command line guy yet managed to get docker running (thanks to tutorials and such) on a Mac in a pretty cool setup where there is a single container that contains all the media apps. Everything is hosted on the Mac and now looking to set the same situation up on the Synology NAS.
Presumably the docker compose from the Mac could be exported/imported and then edit paths accordingly, and yet probably better to start from scratch building everything straight on Synology.

Docker is running. Have an instance of Radarr up and running and yet each app is being set up from its own container. Docker on Synology appears to be Download file (registry) > Launch file (image) > Configure (advanced) > Run. Looking to create a single compose for all the media apps to run in the same container. Each app has its own terminal tab/window, yet that is specific for the app. Do I need a terminal app (not seeing one available) from which to run/configer a unique compose file for the media apps?
Learned the hard way to take the time to get these apps and directories properly configured from the start.

Also, what is the definition of 'Network' in the context of Docker?
<update: Network Settings | Docker - Synology Knowledge Center>
Network shows two apps under the same network name and not sure how that happened. When configuring there is never another option available to from which to select, showing only 'bridge' (app > advanced > network > network name. (add gives message of No other available networks)...not that familiar w/'bridge' and what is host network?
• bridge shows radarr, portainer
• host shows homebridge. (launching home bridge > advanced network shows bridge as only option here as well, so not sure from where host appeared. (same as host?)

--
found a post pointing to portioner that I'm currently exploring. thanks @Rusty guessing I need to be in the stack area yet not getting that to work.

It has been over a year since managing to get the mac instances working. Not sure how to view the compose from the Mac? Or any samples of a stacked compose?

A related question - once there is a single compose up and running, am I able to turn arrives on/off as needed until I get memory beefed up? New system with default of 2 ram and noticing the ram gobbled up just in my experiments with Radarr...so as individual services I can turn on/off as needed.

It has been over a year since managing to get the mac instances working. Not sure how to view the compose from the Mac? Or any samples of a stacked compose?

A related question - once there is a single compose up and running, am I able to turn arrives on/off as needed until I get memory beefed up? New system with default of 2 ram and noticing the ram gobbled up just in my experiments with Radarr...so as individual services I can turn on/off as needed.
You just need to start with a simple compose file and stack up each container in that file.

Regarding ram no need to turn them off you can allocate 100-200MB of ram to each container and you dill be good

Last edited:
Not sure if I'd group radarr/sonarr... but everyone is different. Generally, you stack when there are container dependencies... for example, an address book with a database. ICBW. @Rusty is far more knowledgeable than I am.

You just need to start with a simple compose file and stack up each container in that file.

Regarding ram no need to turn them off you can allocate 100-200MB of ram to each container and you dill be good
Will give that a go. Last night ram was hitting about 60% for what seemed like not much going on.

Thumb rule:
- an application and the services it depends on, are a good fit for a single compose file: typical they act together to serve a single purpose E.g. Gitlab + Database + Redis + Gitlab runner

- applications of the same functional group, especialy if or more are dependencies for the others, are a good fit as well. E.g. Sonarr, Radarr, an Indexer (jacket/hydra2) and a download manager (qbtorren/nzbget)

- if a service by itself does not fullfill a single purpose by its own, it is typicaly a sign that it belongs inside a compose file of the service it used by. E.g. I use hydra2 as meta indexer, Sonarr uses it. Sonarr triggers downlaods in nzbget. It makes sense to me that all those services belong together as they are part of a single workflow.

If you want a shared service (consumed by multiple containers), like a Database or Redis, then it makes sense to have it isolated in its own compose file and preferebly create an external (docker) network, declare it in the shared service compose file and in those compose files that have services that access them and assign it to the shared service and the consumer. This will allow that traffic for the shared service to use an isolated docker network.

Plan:

Single compose for sonarr/radarr/jackett/jellyfin/transmit/couchpotato/(will look into hydra2)

one container for HomeBridge.

btw, open to substitutes if there are strong opinions to swap out one app for another.

@Rusty - I remover one of the awkward hard to resolve fri room points was the mapping on the Mac to Linux. Presume this will be a little cleaner having it all on Linux.

If I am not mistaken about jackett, then hydra2 is somethink like jackett, but for usenet instead of torrents. We don't do torrents in germany, as even accididently providing a single block of something is considered an upload. Though, I am very much facinated from the brilliance of the underlying technology - they implemented unstructered peer to peer networks in a very clever and efficient way..

If you mean transmission with trasmit, than all services, execept jellyin are serving a single purpuse. I would split out jellyfin into its own compose file (and if something like tautulli for plex exists for jellyfin, I'd add it into the same compose file).

If I am not mistaken about jackett, then hydra2 is somethink like jackett, but for usenet instead of torrents. We don't do torrents in germany, as even accididently providing a single block of something is considered an upload. Though, I am very much facinated from the brilliance of the underlying technology - they implemented unstructered peer to peer networks in a very clever and efficient way..

If you mean transmission with trasmit, than all services, execept jellyin are serving a single purpuse. I would split out jellyfin into its own compose file (and if something like tautulli for plex exists for jellyfin, I'd add it into the same compose file).
Interesting. So does Germany have flags in place for uploading of torrents, or uploading in general? What are some of the dos and do nots that might be specific to your country?

there is an app called Resilio Sync which is pretty slick I how files are managed and it is alll bit torrent and for the better good.

Are there decent Usenet services that are not subscription based?

Of couse regulations are specific to the country and their copyright laws. The way torrent works, makes it very easy to figure out who is sharing blocks of a seedfile, which makes it easy to detect if copyrighted content is shared - as soon as they have their hands on a seed they are able to see who shares what blocks of a file. A single block ready to be fetched by others in the swarm is enough to be considered upload of copyrighted material. If I am not mistaken some people takle this by using vpn services. Its perfectly fine to use torrents for Opensource material, as noone realy cares who shares what.

Are there decent Usenet services that are not subscription based?
Not sure. I have two seperate usenet accounts, one of them is quite cheap, the other is slightly more expensive. And I have a couple of indexers that I payed for limetime. It is possible to saturate my 1gbit link with total download bw of 108MB/s. I usualy limit it to 90MB/s to keep spare bw for the rest of the family - grown up kids are realy mad when the internet slow's down or even worse is not available.

Ok. So it isn’t the technology as much as the content. Here in the US the ISP.a are mainly the ones monitoring, where govt would not be interested until maybe someone sets up a Netflix like product (which has happened.)

I might be up for purchasing lifetime access accounts....have not yet found such options.

Curious on the cap limit mentioned of 1gbt ‘link.’ Is this an ISP concurrent download limit, so all download activities of the household max out when hitting the limit (which we have in the US) or a limit to volume from Usenet, or paid indexers which is shared by the household?

Curious on the cap limit mentioned of 1gbt ‘link.’ Is this an ISP concurrent download limit, so all download activities of the household max out when hitting the limit (which we have in the US) or a limit to volume from Usenet, or paid indexers which is shared by the household?
My lines maxes out at 108MB/s. The 90MB/s cap is configured in my download client. Maybe it's wort mentioning that the extraction of the downloaded archives takes much longer (on a Xeon E3-1275) than the download...

My lines maxes out at 108MB/s. The 90MB/s cap is configured in my download client. Maybe it's wort mentioning that the extraction of the downloaded archives takes much longer (on a Xeon E3-1275) than the download...
Line = Line as in ISP connection (for clarity)?

haha, so true!

Portainer > Stacks > + Add stack > Enter Name > Web editor > Add compose info for each app > Deploy the stack

Expectation would be one container showing each up under the one container. On the Mac, Docker app shows these nicely listed in a nested fashion so you see the group (stack) and then each app.
note - the radarr on its own is a working container used a reference.

1629286011908.png

On the Synology, Docker shows these services as individually added, not grouped. You will see the name appended with suffix of -portainer for anything created in portainer (and for some reason radarr from portainer is not showing.) Expecting (wanting) the services to be nested under portioner name of media-portainer.

Portainer appears to show the single stack as desired of media-portainer.
Yet, when looking at the containers, nothing nested.

---
note ~ images posted in reverse order..

1629286604840.png

1629286471259.png

1629286376525.png

1629286011908.png

Hitting issues in the path creations
Appears the configuration files are working as expected, however not reaching the external drive for media.
(looking to keep media downloading and playing to external usb ssd)

Config:
container: /config
host (on Synology): /volume1/docker/media/radarr

App:
container: /movies
host (on usb drive): /volumeUSB1/media/radarr

Download folder:
container:/downloads
host (on usb drive): /volumeUSB1/media/downloads

STRUCTURE

Synology
---docker
------media_config
---------radarr
---------sonarr

USB
---media
------radarr
---------import
------sonarr
---------import
------download
---------incomplete
---------import

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.