Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

Currently reading
Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

So strange. Have Radarr and Sonarr working as expected when I add them as independent packages.

No matter what I do w/in Portainer, can not get even one working....most errors are around bounding and yet using the paths that work directly one would think would work w/Portainer.

Before beating myself further on wanting the apps under one single container, the fact that I can't see them nesting seems like it wasn't working properly. Is there real value in keeping radarr/sonarr/related apps together in one container?

Is there real value in keeping radarr/sonarr/related apps together in one container?
I assume you mean in a single compose file :)

Its a matter of experience and taste how you organize yourself.
I for instance use the Syno Docker UI only to restart containers every other week, and I don't use Portainer (used to use it alot in the past though). I only do cli and do everything in docker-compose, except when I want to exec into a container or try something - then I use the docker cli client directly.

But, I am not the best reference, as I started with docker 6 or 7 years ago... can't realy remember.

Thus, said: There is no need to fight every obstacle on your own. Just share the relevant details with us and hook us in into your troubleshooting process, I am sure we will come up with what might be wrong and what needs to be done different.

If you share your full compose file and the error messages, troubleshooting shouldn't be that hard.

A few posts back there are images showing the preferred setup which I have running on the Mac, and it shows a container (created by a single 'compose' file which,) when running, has the apps nested on the docker Mac app. That is the goal.
Effort that went into learning and building it (simple for those familiar) motivated me to create a few backups of the compose file itself and, of course, not locating the file anywhere for reference nearly a year later.

In testing w/portainer, one compose file will set up more than one app in the stack section however when you go back to services they are all listed out individually without hierarchy....almost seemed like no point (convenience of one file maybe, that was it.) Overall not loving Portainer.

Now, if using portainer the problem seems to be in the bindings. I have the directories working when each app is individually packaged and not working properly when using portainer (and tried all kinds of combinations.) One issue appears to be mapping to the usb drive attached to the Synology. (no need for benefits of Synology backups, snapshots etc. for media ~ not the practice of building any library or archive of media.)

When everything is working as individual files it would, in theory, be simple enough to make create a single compose file.
Figured worse case, export an app settings > open file > copy/paste settings though the closest I am finding to a 'composer' style file would be .json....in this case sonarr.json. That file shows the value pairs yet a fair amount of data that wouldn't be part of a compose file.

On the Mac I did everything via cli w/an app called Atom. On Synology, not seeing an app to build the compose itself and the main reason for using portainer as it had the compose text field to enter the data.
(getting the pathway/bindings on the Mac took ages mind you)

---
even found a script someone had for portainer yet never managed to get that to properly install/run.

A few posts back there are images showing the preferred setup which I have running on the Mac, and it shows a container (created by a single 'compose' file which,) when running, has the apps nested on the docker Mac app. That is the goal.
Effort that went into learning and building it (simple for those familiar) motivated me to create a few backups of the compose file itself and, of course, not locating the file anywhere for reference nearly a year later.

In testing w/portainer, one compose file will set up more than one app in the stack section however when you go back to services they are all listed out individually without hierarchy....almost seemed like no point (convenience of one file maybe, that was it.) Overall not loving Portainer.

Now, if using portainer the problem seems to be in the bindings. I have the directories working when each app is individually packaged and not working properly when using portainer (and tried all kinds of combinations.) One issue appears to be mapping to the usb drive attached to the Synology. (no need for benefits of Synology backups, snapshots etc. for media ~ not the practice of building any library or archive of media.)

When everything is working as individual files it would, in theory, be simple enough to make create a single compose file.
Figured worse case, export an app settings > open file > copy/paste settings though the closest I am finding to a 'composer' style file would be .json....in this case sonarr.json. That file shows the value pairs yet a fair amount of data that wouldn't be part of a compose file.

On the Mac I did everything via cli w/an app called Atom. On Synology, not seeing an app to build the compose itself and the main reason for using portainer as it had the compose text field to enter the data.
(getting the pathway/bindings on the Mac took ages mind you)

---
even found a script someone had for portainer yet never managed to get that to properly install/run.
share the exact compose.

From what I can see you want your content to be on a removable device?

none of the compose efforts actually fully worked. I will share when back at the computer. Config stored on Synology, media files stored on external usb.
USB is an SSD and hoping not much of a latency hit in playback

Any way to auto generate a compose file from a working Docker app? I have Sonarr and Radarr working as solo apps.

Any way to auto generate a compose file from a working Docker app? I have Sonarr and Radarr working as solo apps.
There is. you might want to check Docker Autocompose .

The generated compose file will cover ALL configuration items, even those that are typicaly added by default from the docker engine itself, so you will need to remove plenty of elements from that compose file to make it "portable"

On the Mac I used Atom for the compose file. On Synology, not seeing any way to create, paste compose info etc. I see an import. Imagine there has to be a native way to create/edit run Docker compose?
Seems crazy to have CLI in to work on a Docker compose.

I will look into Docker Autocompose.

@one-eyed-king Docker Autocompose ~ what app on Synology is used to run this code? Terminal tab inside their respective app settings is not allowing for a copy/paste (paste command results in a ^[v in the terminal window.

Those are cli commands. Make sure to be become root (using sudo -i) before you execute them. Also make sure to read the complete thread before you try anything.

Docker for Desktop, regardless wheter for Mac or Windows, is a Gucci version of docker that manages to hide the fact that it runs docker in a linux vm and tries to "shim" your host commands to the vm. Most of the docker posts in the docker forum come from people running Docker for Desktop, typicaly motivated by differences between the linux version of the Docker for Desktop versions. Docker is a first class citizen in Linux, as it just a glue to orchestrate Linux Kernel modules and commands. This is why Docker always runs in a VM on everything that is not Linux.

If you want it comfy, you will need to use portainer. The Syno Docker-UI is not compose aware. Docker Compose is an addon and not embedded in the docker engine. It will orchestrate the api calls to the docker engine, to controll containers in a group. Though, this is no information the docker engine is aware of, other then adding a couple of additional labels to those containers. From the docker engine perspective, each container is by its own. Docker compose just sets them up cleverly to act as a group. Thus said: of course a service and a container in Portainer won't be grouped, as they are in fact stand alone services and containers. The stack view just leverages the additional labels that indicate which containers are part of a compose "project" and shows them as a collection.

wondering why there isn't an app for native cli inside Synology itself, or at least docker?

switching over to terminal now to ssl into nas.

Are you talking about the same Synology, that does not even manage to support all available options for plain containers?

Synology's Docker UI is very opinionated and restricted compared to Portainer. The request to generate compose files from existing containers is more likely to succeeed with Portainer than with Synology. Open a feature request in Portainers Github Repo (I assume they use Github) and see what happens :)

More complex docker scenarios are impossible to takle without a decent level of domain knowlege... You either share your compose files and help use to bring in our domain knowledge (and learn from it) or continue to try to takle things by your own (and learn it the hard way). I respect both ways :)

Last edited:
Here we go.... will try not to live stream novice steps ...

Command successfully run, with the following output files:
homebridge-compose.yml portainer-compose.yml sonarr-compose.yml

sonarr-compose.yml is the target file...<testing atm>

Unable to location Sonarr-compose.yml.
Synology > File Station > docker > now shows -compse.yml w/0kb.
Switching over to Synology > File Station, only seeing -compse.yml...none of the names above.
-- post merged: --

Moved that file to a directory easier to access from the Mac however can not see said file...and no change by renaming to compose.yml file is as the file size indicated...empty. Yep, stuck unable to locate sonarr-compose.yml. Also trying to temporarily open docker directory to view from the Mac (smb/afp) and not yet successful..

---

1. Like to learn any ways available. Lot of hard knock learning the first time around (and forgot some what was learned.)
2. I am grateful for the assistance, tips and support AND do not want anyone to feel I am leaning too heavy on input.
3. I am not a cli person...generally outside the comfort zone and am here as last resort. Want the benefits of the home
nas/media center/homebridge etc. and that requires digging in to learn how to get these tasks completed.
4. Synology is all new...first time.

@Rusty No real compose file yet available.

The willingness to learn is allways appreciated :)

May I make a small suggestion, that will help us to better help you?
If you would share the exact cli commands you used here (worst case as a screenshot), we would be able to see the full picture of what you try to do and can immediatly see where things might be needed to be done differently.

In germany we have a saying: a picture says more than thousand words! (replace picture with screenshot/cli commands and docker compose files in this case)

Help us to help you!

Last edited:
The willingness to learn is allways appreciated :)

May I make a small suggestion, that will help us to better help you?
If you would share the exact cli commands you used here (worst case as a screenshot), we would be able to see the full picture of what you try to do and can immediatly see where things might be needed to be done differently.

In germany we have a saying: a picture says more than thousand words! (replace picture with screenshot/cli commands and docker compose files in this case)

Help us to help you!

Happy to...seems a little silly at the moment when I'm experimenting knowing some will not work. I shared a screenshot above of the Files app showing the empty compose file.

1629546470082.png

You successfully exported the compose files for these container and know where these compose files are stored.

When you move the files you just type in the names as is, only folders with spaces require escapping with a \ in front of the space character.

examples:
This will move the sonarr-compose.yml to the docker share on Volume1 (assumed you are on the Syno and docker is installed on it). Since the target ends with a / character, mv knows to keep the orginal filename when moving it into the target folderrrr

Code:
mv sonarr-compose.yml /volume1/docker/

Move to folder with space (This path makes me think that you perfom these on a mac?):
Code:
mv sonarr-compose.yml /Volumes/Ressilio\ Sync/removed/
-- post merged: --

I shared a screenshot above of the Files app showing the empty compose file.
I missed that one: can you cat ${name of compose file} (of course by replacing the ${} with the real filename) to show us how the content looks like on the shell. 700 to 800 bytes seems suspcisously low.

I am not accessing the docker directory from the Mac (and not finding a way through Synology settings etc.) to open access to see from the Mac. (likely all novice related).

mv sonarr-compose.yml /volume1/docker/ worked - I was trying to move to another shared folder within Synology (and not knowing the exact path there is a way to capture the path by dragging the file to the terminal to show the path which is what you were seeing w/Volumes/Resilio path....as I think about that I was getting the Mac path to the file and not the Synology path to the file.)

1629547796247.png

So then I was able to use the File Station app to move the sonarr-compose.yml to a directory I can see on the Mac, opened the file and I have the compose ... will need to strip it down some. Sonarr is working and with this I can create the compose the includes Radarr and others.

When it comes to loading that compose, how is that done? copy file from Mac to docker somewhere, use portainer to load? there is probably a more accurate and elegant way to get docker to run the new compose (w/multiple apps) file.

1629548483865.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.