Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

Currently reading
Docker: Single compose for sonarr/radarr/etc.

The default bridge network isolates each container, it requires "links" between containers to iteract with each other.
A user defined (bridge) network commes with build in service discovery, based on dns, which allows to call services from another container in the same network using it's container or service name. Trust me, you want this!"

Wasn't ignored....maybe rephrasing or an explain-it-like-i'm-5

__
Understand links needed between containers, and the benefits of no links for services in the same network.

Scroll up and you will see. I wrote about it.
My reply vanished....here it is again...

"The default bridge network isolates each container, it requires "links" between containers to iteract with each other.
A user defined (bridge) network commes with build in service discovery, based on dns, which allows to call services from another container in the same network using it's container or service name. Trust me, you want this!"

Wasn't ignored.

I understand the need to link between containers, and the benefits of services running under the same network so services on the same network can more easily communicate (built in service discovery).

Not clear on why one would need/want a unique service name over that of a default..and trusting you 100% (not a challenge questions here) asking to understand.
-- post merged: --

@one-eyed-king A HUGE THANK YOU!!! Information and time much appreciated.

understand the need to link between containers, and the benefits of services running under the same network so services on the same network can more easily communicate (built in service discovery).
While you can use the default bridge network, running a separate/dedicated one will if nothing else help with better isolation and organization when running multiple containers.

For your number of containers it might not make a huge impact but in the long run it’s good practice. Also it will help with network traffic control and security (as each network is a separate subnet) but that’s isolation in a word that I already mentioned.

So what’s up with vpn container? what’s the idea/wish there?

Your containers can be run through Glutun VPN client (supports Private Internet Access, Mullvad, Windscribe, Surfshark Cyberghost, VyprVPN, NordVPN and PureVPN VPN servers, using Go, OpenVPN, iptables, DNS over TLS, ShadowSocks and Tinyproxy).

Container setup here.

You just need to start with a simple compose file and stack up each container in that file.

Regarding ram no need to turn them off you can allocate 100-200MB of ram to each container and you dill be good
Allocating ram...this topic went into a number of rabbit holes as I am reading....and includes differences in docker versions and swarms.

Docker is 10.10.3-1233, and the compose states version: "2.4."
Would each container get a
limits:
memory: 100MB

?

yes..for the compose (or does it need to happen another way...
With docker-compose it will depend on the version of compose you are running.

for version below v3 you can configure it like this:

Code:
mem_limit: 500m
mem_reservation: 200m

reservation is optional but if you use both limit and reservation, reservation has to have a lower value of limit. You can use m for megabytes or k and g for kilo/gigabytes

for compose file version 3+:

Code:
deploy:
    resources:
        limits:
            memory: 500m
        reservations:
            memory: 200m

Code:
version: "2.4"
services:

sonarr:
    image: linuxserver/sonarr:latest
    network_mode: service:gluetun
    mem_limit: 200m
    restart: always
    container_name: sonarr
    environment:
      - PGID=100
      - PUID=1032
      - TZ=America/New_York
    volumes:
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare:/usb
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/downloads:rw
      - /volume1/docker/media-center-config/sonarr:/config:rw

While containers load and show green, no longer able to access web UIs w/that line (men_limit: 200m) added. (?)

Code:
version: "2.4"
services:

sonarr:
    image: linuxserver/sonarr:latest
    network_mode: service:gluetun
    mem_limit: 200m
    restart: always
    container_name: sonarr
    environment:
      - PGID=100
      - PUID=1032
      - TZ=America/New_York
    volumes:
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare:/usb
      - /volumeUSB1/usbshare/raw:/downloads:rw
      - /volume1/docker/media-center-config/sonarr:/config:rw

While containers load and show green, no longer able to access web UIs w/that line (men_limit: 200m) added. (?)
any errors?

Last edited:
any errors?
None that I am seeing. Everything seems normal but something broke. No longer appears related to the memory line...I reverted back to a working compose and same issue. Everything green and running, and none of the services within the stack are accessible from the browser. There are two docker services running outside of the stack and accessing the UI fine.

k. forgot I was troubleshooting HomeKit w/synology bonjour settings, vpn turned off etc. everything is back to prehomebridge and now all but sonarr and transmission (sans memory line) are available through the URL.

Last edited:
again, what error/output are you getting?
ZERO errors.

The urls for sonarr gives unexpectedly dropped connection.

Transmission has returned.

Number of restarts and sonarr has returned.

Slightly off topic, steps to get Homebridge connected to iPad appear to interfere w/the docker media stack.
Homebridge 'almost' connects to iPad. Homekit will see the Homebridge, however will not actually add it.
Will start a new thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.