Docker Tweaks

Currently reading
Docker Tweaks

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,
(sorry if this s a repeat, some of the post isn't appearing)

Getting the outdated docker/solarr back in shape and hitting a hitting a few odd glitches. Maybe others have experienced or might know where I'm going wrong.
I'm not much of a coder of CLI guy...patching things together from tutorials, posts and with the support from amazing people here.
  • Watchtower
    Watchtower is installed looks like it is running. That said, the solarr apps themselves are not updated. My guess here is that the Watchtower might need to be installed inside the solarr container. If that is true, well, how would this be moved into its container, or delete and reinstall specifically inside the container.
    If so, how is this accomplished?

• Missing html admin pages
    Pages for sonarr/radarr/jellyfin/jackett/lidarr/transmission are showing as expected. Not getting to gluetun, prowler; presume watchtower is a service in the background run on schedules so no interface,(?) Is there a way to quickly identify which ports are assigned to which apps - when they are running through gleutun? Imagine the gleutun interface would tell me if it were accessible.
    1683417586935.png

• VPN Certificate
    Is there a way to validate an existing vpn certificate for docker? Want to prevent downloading and installing a new certificate, or at least test first.

Attachments

• 1683394195697.png
    1683394195697.png
    519.5 KB · Views: 31
Watchtower is installed looks like it is running. That said, the solarr apps themselves are not updated. My guess here is that the Watchtower might need to be installed inside the solarr container.
No. WT should by default overlook all the containers and update them as needed. That being said you could get into issues if the new update messes up a container. WT will not validate the new update image and that might lead to some of your containers not working. This can happen with a manual update as well, just saying.

So you will have to have a look into WT why it is not updating the containers. Maybe they are already up-to-date?

Is there a way to quickly identify which ports are assigned to which apps - when they are running through gleutun?
Why do you need this? Considering they are running via a single container that view is what you get. By default, configuring the apps you should be aware what port is for what app, so again my questions is why do you need this info at any given point?

Is there a way to validate an existing vpn certificate for docker?
Not sure what you mean here.

Last edited:
No. WT should by default overlook all the containers and update them as needed. That being said you could get into issues if the new update messes up a container. WT will not validate the new update image and that might lead to some of your containers not working. This can happen with a manual update as well, just saying.

So you will have to have a look into WT why it is not updating the containers. Maybe they are already up-to-date?

Why do you need this? Considering they are running via a single container that view is what you get. By default, configuring the apps you should be aware what port is for what app, so again my questions is why do you need this info at any given point?

Apologize if this is a repeat - a response earlier appears to have vanished (that makes maybe 3 times of late)

you will have to have a look into WT why it is not updating the containers. Maybe they are already up-to-date?
Several apps themselves are stating out of date.
IE:
1683476651228.png

(and yes, indexers are failing.)

Why do you need this?
Yes, you'd be right. This was all about 2-3 years back so do not recall the ports by memory. Identified which work, which are not working. Thought there might have been a cli line to generate a report that would breakdown the ports of gluetun.

There is vpn certificate used by gluetun which may not be working (not sure why, something worth confirming) and I am looking for a way to verify the certificate still works. having to delete and install another certificate for gluetun is something I'd like to avoid...just another rabbit hole..

------
New development where portainer is saying NOTHING in the container exists. other than watchtower not updating, most of these were working fine last night. no troubleshooting yet, no command line experiments. the one prune command was yesterday and everything continued to work...pruned only old unused containers.

Going out of my way to keep from a downward spiral leading building this all from scratch when all that is needed are updates.

1683476344661.png

Rebooting Synology now in hopes this fixes itself...

1683476857955.png

Reboot didn't fix anything, looks like the container w/all the apps vanished..
There were no changes between before and now to networks..so strange. Gleutun itself is part of that same network and container and shows as running.

-------------
NETWORK
-------------
1683477151235.png

Network labeled 'bridge' might be new as it only has portainer and watchtower which are new adds.

1683477187746.png

Adding jackett for example, to the media-stack-network adds fine, however starting it then changes message from no network to missing container.

-----
Anyone w/ideas of what happened? Ways to get it back w/o rebuilding?
1683477756026.png

Jellyfin still running. Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/Transmission/Jackett not working.

1683478859024.png

Portainer error launching these apps

----------------
Could Watchtower have done something here, throwing these off?
1683479118565.png

Ok there is a lot going on here. You are attacking from all fronts (Syno UI, Portainer, and CLI), as well as with all sorts of questions and needs.

Personally, I would just purge all this, and start fresh with containers that you need and connect them to existing volumes. Then, see what works and what doesn't.

While I have the original (working) compose document saved, there were complications getting each of the directories properly mapped and the apps running through the VPN - this took ages to get working.

While I fully admin I am novice at all this, I am not identifying what changed to make this all go haywire, and was afraid that something simple (need to update) would take a downward spiral and force starting from scratch.

CLI, Portainer, Docker - all more confirmations from different angles. Then this, with what just broke, so frustrating.

All these different types of backups, this is the time to see where I can roll back docker.
This is a sound idea but you have to have a working setup 1st in order to back it up. Atm, it is unclear (to me) if that is the case at all.

Last edited:
do you recommend watchtower over ouroboros? which one is a better solution?
Not in a position to have an opinion on either, trying for the first time and chose watchtower as it is has active current support (not saying ouroboros does not, I haven't explored.)
-- post merged: --

This is a sound idea but you have to have a working setup 1st in order to back it up. Atm, it is unclear (to me) if that is the case at all.

After discovering that docker was not included in the backups (that will change once this is back in shape) some digging uncovered that what transpired (the stack getting hosed) happens on occasion. Deleting and recreating the stack (using the saved compose data) brought nearly everything back to life (yea!) w/the added benefit of the apps being updated w/the rebuild (so watchtower still an unknown.). Worse case, rebuilding the stack to update every-so-ofter is doable.

--------------------
CURRENT STATE
--------------------
Working: sonarr/radarr/lidarr/transmission/jackett/ (+ portainer & watchtower out of stack)
Not able to access web interfaces for prowlarr or gluetun

1683533647582.png

Responses from IPs in question:
1683533698781.png

----------------------------------
Experimental Troubleshooting
  • Appending image w/latest in docker compose - no improvement
    Noticing now that gluetun did not remark 'latest' in its composer pull, and prowlarr references developer...rebuilding w/composer edits for latest...

• Gluetun
    1683535293646.png

* BING BING * changing the outdated compose line per log mention resulted in upticks in cpu and ram activity across starr apps...step in the right direction. Previously the apps were running yet zero cpu/ram activity.
    Still not accessing its interface.

• Prowlarr
    Strange log error...
    1683536610316.png

Attachments

• 1683534620331.png
    1683534620331.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 9
--------------------
CURRENT STATE
--------------------
Working: sonarr/radarr/lidarr/transmission/jackett/ (+ portainer & watchtower out of stack)
Not able to access web interfaces for prowlarr or gluetun

Experimental Troubleshooting
  • Appending image w/latest in docker compose - no improvement
    Noticing now that gluetun did not remark 'latest' in its composer pull, and prowlarr references developer...rebuilding w/composer edits for latest...

• Gluetun
    View attachment 12721
    * BING BING * changing the outdated compose line per log mention resulted in upticks in cpu and ram activity across starr apps...step in the right direction.
    Previously the apps were running yet zero cpu/ram activity.
    Still not accessing its interface.

• Prowlarr
    Strange log error...
    View attachment 12723
Edit function seems missing for this post...to edit:
• Gray back Gleutun as this is working and doesn't have a gui.
• Strike out or gluetun

Edit function seems missing for this post...to edit:
There is a time limit for going back and editing posts. This aims to stop older posts being silently updated with content that breaks the forum rules... which has happened, even in the edit window.

There is a time limit for going back and editing posts. This aims to stop older posts being silently updated with content that breaks the forum rules... which has happened, even in the edit window.
Got it.
-- post merged: --

UPDATE: Prowlarr suddenly decided to work. Nothing I can see that I did differently for it to be working AND will not question this too deeply. Returning to the media configuration, trackers etc. as the next phase.

200w.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.