Docker VPN fails when Synology VPN is stopped 🤪

Currently reading
Docker VPN fails when Synology VPN is stopped 🤪

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
A few days ago I shutdown Synology's VPN server, as it was seldom used. However yesterday, when I launched the Docker container qbittorrentvpn, its web GUI failed.

After changing the containers VPN credentials (I use AirVPN), and updating the Docker image, I continued to get TUN errors whenever the container started.

2022-02-18 03:31:52stdout2022-02-18 03:31:52.441766 [info] OpenVPN config file (ovpn extension) is located at /config/openvpn/AirVPN_NO-Oslo_Camelopardalis_UDP-443.ovpn
2022-02-18 03:31:52stdout2022-02-18 03:31:52.377470 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2022-02-18 03:30:28stdoutFri Feb 18 03:30:28 2022 Exiting due to fatal error
2022-02-18 03:30:28stdoutFri Feb 18 03:30:28 2022 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

After my frustration level subsided, I remembered exiting several packages a few days before, and for some random reason, I restarted Synology VPN server. When restarting the qbittorrentvpn container, the TUN errors ceased, and I was connected to the AirVPN server.

Hopefully this is obvious to some of you, but I don't understand why shutting down the Synology VPN Server (which accepts incoming connections), would affected a Docker container with an outbound connection to a VPN server.

As it seems now, the Synology VPN Server must be kept running for my container to function. Presumably, if I uninstall the VPN Server, my container is useless.

What is going on here? Why am I dependent upon the VPN Server for my Docker VPN connection? How can I break this dependency so that that container connects when the Synology VPN Server is not running (or uninstalled).

I had to set the following script to run at boot:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Create the necessary file structure for /dev/net/tun
if ( [ ! -c /dev/net/tun ] ); then
    if ( [ ! -d /dev/net ] ); then
        mkdir -m 755 /dev/net
    fi
    mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
fi

# Load the tun module if not already loaded
if ( !(lsmod | grep -q "^tun\s") ); then
    insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko

fi
It used to regularly happen to me with and without the synology VPN running.
I never managed to get the Synology one to run in a stable manner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.