Currently reading
Docking station recommendation

NAS
ds200j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Looking for a docking station or caddy compatible with ds220j - preferably usb3.

Trying to copy data stored on HDD disks that I've previously used in conjunction with Icy Box Caddy.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regarding the Icy Box caddy, have you got a spare HDD that you can try and reformat using the NAS?

I use an old Icy Box 3.5" enclosure that has USB2 and eSata. It's connected using eSata to my DS218+ and is the Hyper Backup destination for my DS1520+. Formatted its 12TB HDD as ext4.

Otherwise I've used a Probox USB3 enclosure (before Maplins, UK, shutdown). Or crack open and switch disks in a WD Elements USB3 case.

Can you provide more information on the caddy that you're having issues using?

Thanks for the reply.

The Caddy is a 2 bay Icy Box that I've been using for sometime - it works perfectly when connected to either PC or MAC via usb3.

When connected to the nas it doesn't show any of my various hdd's as connected devices. It does show other usb devices such as flash drive and portable hdd when connected.

OK. So it sounds that there is a problem with the multi-bay interface that is being presented via USB 3.

To date I've not have issues with single bay enclosures... the simpler the better. My Icy Box looks like this and is easy to switch disks. [not suggesting you get this but that a standard enclosure with easy swap-disks is available]
1614872060463.png
1614872069598.png

Thx Rusty - OWC not so common in UK.

Drive dock product looks interesting although it is £90.
-- post merged: --

OK. So it sounds that there is a problem with the multi-bay interface that is being presented via USB 3.

To date I've not have issues with single bay enclosures... the simpler the better. My Icy Box looks like this and is easy to switch disks. [not suggesting you get this but that a standard enclosure with easy swap-disks is available]
View attachment 3210View attachment 3211
Looks interesting do you happen to have a model number or name please?

Personally I prefer a dock vs an enclosure, however @fredbert's unit is pretty nice… But like the enclosures, pay special attention to the drive capacity. Some are quite limited. While others, due to release date, are not limited, but carry outdated documentation (similar to Synology's compatibility list).

Also, certain 2-slot docks support disk cloning.

@Telos do you have a recommendation for a 2-bay caddy?

@russtobin Here's the scan.co.uk filter for Icy Box 3.5"
The one that looks to be the updated version of mine (USB 3.0, no eSata) is £37.99 but is on back order.

When the time comes to retire the slower eSata (3Gbps) I'm going to see if I can take a USB 3 interface from one of my many WD Elements and fit it to the Icy Box chassis.

Thx guys for all of the replies - I might just buy a cheap and cheerful single bay docking station and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered Oyen Digital's Mobius line of USB-attached enclosures? Oyen products are available from Amazon in the US and UK. I can't speak to other regions.

I currently use a Mobius Pro 2C 2-Bay USB-C RAID Hard Drive Enclosure for offsite backups with IronWolf Pro and Exos HDDs, 12TB-16TB. The 2C includes hardware RAID1 and RAID0, transfer rates up to10Gb (USB-C), sturdy metal case, and a 60w internal power supply. Backed by a 3-Year Warranty. No trays are required for 3.5" HDDs; and it is very easy to insert/remove media.

I've used and recommended several Oyen Digital Mobius products over the past decade or so; and I have been consistently impressed with build quality and superb email support.

Regards, Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.