Does moving a shared folder shutdown services?

Currently reading
Does moving a shared folder shutdown services?

NAS
DS218+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
  4. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm planning on moving a shared folder to a new volume. The easiest way appears to be to go to Control Panel - > Shared Folders, select the folder and change the volume.

However when I do this I get the following warning:
"All services will be stopped during the operation, and will resume after the operation is completed".

Really, basically, this will shutdown the NAS? I can't do that, as users and automatic operations use other shared folders 24x7.

Is this what will really happen?
There's no mention of this in the online manual that I found.

This is DSM-6.2.4

Thanks.

Solution
No shutdown is to be expected.
but services may have files open on the shared folder and these will obviously stop. Users cannot read/write during the operation.
I never noticed that the system is not responsive or disfunctional during a move, but no guarantee…
Last edited:
No shutdown is to be expected.
but services may have files open on the shared folder and these will obviously stop. Users cannot read/write during the operation.
I never noticed that the system is not responsive or disfunctional during a move, but no guarantee…

Upvote 1
Solution
I had a chance to grab a spare Synology box and test this and you are correct, the other filesystems were fine during the move.

Also, I'd heard some complaints that these moves were slow, but I was able to get close to 100MB/s during the move, which is about the best I'd expect from the old drives I was using for the test.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for this thread. The warning: "All services will be stopped during the operation and will resume after the operation is completed". Is the problem that concerned me to seek out an answer as to what that actually means. Like 'Hi There', I can not afford to have my fileserver down for all users.

Ultimately the files stored on the volume to be moved (and any services that rely on those specific files) become inaccessible during the transfer, which kinda makes sense. Synology really needs to clarify what they mean by "All services".

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.