Currently reading
does reset on docker container erase volumes

NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am having great difficulty finding clear information on how the DSM Docker add-on handles volumes, and how internal volumes are affected by the reset operation on the container.

When a container is launched, it generally creates one or more volumes. What happens to these volumes upon a reset operation? Are they preserved, or erased?

Are they preserved, or erased?
Restarting or rebuilding a container that has a mapped volume (not mount bind), will reuse that same volume after it was recreated (after an update for example) or continue to use the volume after a container reboot/restart.

The point is, volume removal (so even if you delete the container) is a separate process.

More details here: Use volumes

When using DSM’s Docker GUI then the volumes it creates will be abandoned when a container is cleared/reset.

To avoid losing the data a container creates you must map a folder inside the container to a NAS folder (in a shared folder).

If you use Docker via SSH then you’ll have more options.

@fredbert: Thanks for the clear explanation of the operation of the graphical interface in the DSM add-on. It was the information not clearly presented in any of the comments on the subject I had found previously.

I now understand that if I intend to update a container from a newer image in the future, I must ensure that it is provisioned originally with the data folders mapped to external locations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.