Does the dreaded Hyperbackup Explorer app for Windows work for you?

Currently reading
Does the dreaded Hyperbackup Explorer app for Windows work for you?

NAS
DS218+, DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
This is a genuine question. In all the years I've owned Synology NASs I don't think I'ever successfully pulled a single file on Windows machine from an external USB hard drive with a Hyperbackup repository on it.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong, or what Synology is doing wrong, but I always get the 'backup data is corrupted' popup error when opening any .hbk file on an NTFS drive in Windows with the latest (3.0.1) Hyperbackup Explorer app. This on hyperbackup repositories across different drives, that pass all consistency checks and I can access without issue on DSM.

Running the app on Linux is a problem as well (there's a dependency issue with a QT library in the latest versions of Ubuntu, and the application doesn't launch).

So my question is: what am I missing? what am I doing wrong? is it NTFS that's the issue? How can a software-focused company such as Synology get away with such a poor implementation of this -crucial in emergencies- backup restore tool?

what am I missing? what am I doing wrong? is it NTFS that's the issue? How can a software-focused company such as Synology get away with such a poor implementation of this -crucial in emergencies- backup restore tool?
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues with this particular situation. While I can't say for sure what is causing this particular issue for you, I can say it is not the HB. But saying that, could you share a bit more details on the type of data, type of backup task, the drive model, etc., so that maybe we can all get a better understanding of your particular setup?

Do include the schedule, and other task configuration parameters as well.

Have you tried to backup a sample of that data onto another drive? Other file formats? Have you tried to make a backup on a temp location on the NAS and then restore it (at least a sample)? Same results?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues with this particular situation. While I can't say for sure what is causing this particular issue for you, I can say it is not the HB. But saying that, could you share a bit more details on the type of data, type of backup task, the drive model, etc., so that maybe we can all get a better understanding of your particular setup?

Do include the schedule, and other task configuration parameters as well.

Have you tried to backup a sample of that data onto another drive? Other file formats? Have you tried to make a backup on a temp location on the NAS and then restore it (at least a sample)? Same results?
I believe I was not very clear on the original post. HB works just fine when used on Synology NAS devices. It's honestly almost perfect.

However, there are cases where one may need to pull a file off a Hyperbackup repository on, let's say, an external USB drive, using a computer, for example when their NAS is out of service.

In that case, one is forced to use the desktop HB Explorer app - and frankly, it is quite bad.

The latest Windows version, for me at least, does not work for .hbk files residing on NTFS drives (these are known good backups, checked via the DSM HB app). It sort of works on exfat drives but is prone to errors.

The linux version seems to work best, but I've tried running it on about 3 ubuntu based distributions and it never once just launched immediately - there are quite a few dependencies it needs to run and these aren't documented anywhere on the Synology website so one must go hunting around.

Upvote 0
believe I was not very clear
No no you were. It was I that failed to read your post and the more then obvious title. In that case have you maybe tried with an exFAT formatted external drive? See if that makes a difference?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.