Question Does xTeVe (on Synology via docker) still work with Plex?

Currently reading
Question Does xTeVe (on Synology via docker) still work with Plex?

NAS
DS918+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all, ive been playing with Docker on my 918+ recently and came across xTeVe. I've installed it and can run it using @Rusty's guide here.

2 questions:

Does Plex still let me use xTeVe?

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 20.57.51.png

Not sure why it is not adding? As xTeVe is at that address on my LAN and the container is running, I can access the GUI...but I haven't set it up the M3U stuff yet.

2. I can find plenty of free M3U URL's to use, but can't find the XMLTV files? Would it be better to use URL's to live sites or files? Can anyone suggest either a good free or cheap service? im new to this and google searching is a bit overwhelming as there's just so much! lol.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It works just fine.

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 23.02.53.png

You will need a completly functional xteve setup (channels and EGP) before you can map it to the Plex. I am running my own EGP via WebGrabPlus (hosted as well via Docker) and using its xml for you xteve EGP source. Can't suggest any free channels atm, considering that I use paid versions (its super stable and they work).

hi @Rusty, thanks for the info. I think I will use a paid IPTV source in that instance, may as well do this properly.

Im in the middle of installing WeGrabPlus, but notice it hasn't been assigned a port. Do you know where to find a noddy guide in how to set it up?

I have xteve running and use it with Plex and tivimate.

I'll say this though, the Plex live TV function is janky at best, treat it more like a hobby rather than a reliable feature.

You'll probably also want an epg data source too. I use schedulesdirect.

There is docker build by dnsforge for xteve with schedulesdirect support built in. Highly recommended.

Im in the middle of installing WeGrabPlus, but notice it hasn't been assigned a port. Do you know where to find a noddy guide in how to set it up?
You are correct, there isn't any. Webgrab is a console app, not a web app so you will need to ssh into your box to set it up and configure it via Docker. I am preparing several Docker tutorials for my blog as well (should be up in about 12h, tomorrow in any case), and if you can wait that long I will make one for webgrab as well and make a note of it in the LiveTv article as well as here in this thread.

You are correct, there isn't any. Webgrab is a console app, not a web app so you will need to ssh into your box to set it up and configure it via Docker. I am preparing several Docker tutorials for my blog as well (should be up in about 12h, tomorrow in any case), and if you can wait that long I will make one for webgrab as well and make a note of it in the LiveTv article as well as here in this thread.

Oh I see, that would be awesome, thanks very much for your help.

hI @chenks, il have a look at the docker build with schedulesdirect support built in too, thanks.

Here - WebGrabPlus - self-hosted EPG via Docker if you have any questions ask away.
Was able to get to the part where you open the XML files with Text Edit, thanks for pointing out that the Synology app exists btw, spent a while looking for free programmes till I realised 😂. Will spend some time reading up on how to do the rest. thanks again for your help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.