NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
  2. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi again,
So my situation is I have internet from AT&T which supplies their own Gateway that I have to use. I have the Wi-Fi disabled on the gateway and have a wireless router ASUS AC86U connected to the one of the Ethernet ports on the gateway and into WAN port on the ASUS. I connect everything into the ASUS and use the Wi-Fi from that.

The ISP gateway does not allow for a true bridge mode but has a poor alternative IP pass through mode which slows my Wi-Fi a lot so I don’t use it.

But that leaves me with a Double NAT.
I Don’t play video games and only plan on using my DS920+ in my local network.

Will the double NAT be an issue for me? I am not sure but I think I believe I will not have to to forward any ports on my router if I’m just using the NAS inside my LAN?

Could this cause other potential issues with the NAS or DSM?

Help always appreciated. Thanks.

Will the double NAT be an issue for me? I am not sure but I think I believe I will not have to to forward any ports on my router if I’m just using the NAS inside my LAN?
If this will be true internal usage, then no, you will have no issues regarding your double nat setup. But like you said, it shouldn't prevent internet access. It might slow it down a bit. One thing that might be an issue is DSM and app updates, but I guess you could always do a manual update as well.

If you decide you need to access your NAS securely from the internet in the future, take a look at Tailscale. You can install that through the package center and it will give you a secure VPN connection and will work around your double-NAT problem.

I have a synology router got mine to work by creating my own private Ip adress,manually performing port forwarding and allowing it out side adress be the one that ATT gives during initial setup

If this will be true internal usage, then no, you will have no issues regarding your double nat setup. But like you said, it shouldn't prevent internet access. It might slow it down a bit. One thing that might be an issue is DSM and app updates, but I guess you could always do a manual update as well.
Okay that’s good to know. Thanks, I will try it and see how DSM will handle updates with my setup.
If you decide you need to access your NAS securely from the internet in the future, take a look at Tailscale. You can install that through the package center and it will give you a secure VPN connection and will work around your double-NAT problem.
I’ve read Tailscale mentioned in a couple of threads posts already. Don’t know much about it but will check it out thanks.
I have a synology router got mine to work by creating my own private Ip adress,manually performing port forwarding and allowing it out side adress be the one that ATT gives during initial setu
Can you go into a bit more detail on how you did this? And does this bypass the need for the ATT gateway? Thanks.

Last edited:
It was a long Journey would love to explain however will be out of town for a week don't want to give it bits and bites will.do so a week from now
-- post merged: --

And I did not bypass the gateway you cannot. All that you can do is get a " Dedicated" IP adresss assigned to your router - open to "unfiltered "internet that your external router will handle from there.. I WAS ABLE TO obtain full paid for speed just unable to have the synology router to self assign ports to my SYNOLOGY NAS when I perfpred tracert (windows cmd) I got pings first Synology router (yey) then to dsl local and last through the ip adress assigned to the synology router

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.