NAS
DS214PLAY
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
A couple of days ago I upgraded to V7 of DSM without realising it breaks most 3rd party apps
0j8npnul29461.png

Long story short I successfully followed an adhoc procedure here...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... or so I thought.

After several restarts, I noticed that there were no volumes as reported by Storage Manager!
Fortunately, I manually updated back to V7 and all drives were still mounted.

Obviously if I created a new RAID mount after I downgraded, Synology would have wiped the existing data

So, I have x3 questions...

1) Has anyone managed a successful albeit adhoc downgrade?
2) Is there a workaround for instances like mine where I found myself with no mounted volumes after downgrade?
3) Are there any workarounds to install apps like NZBGet, Transmission etc in V7 which required root
privileges?

So let me get this straight. You decided to just throw a beta OS on your live/mail/prod NAS without doing some thorough investigation? You are lucky the downgrade did not do more damage to your NAS.

Did you also not do a backup so you had a solution for lost volumes..?

You should run 3rdparty apps in Docker. Especially if they are that important for you..

That's one of the things I dislike about Synology. Their policy of no return on upgrades to DSM.

DSM should go on a thumb drive or on a chip on the board and leave your disks and data alone!

DSM should go on a thumb drive or on a chip on the board
Really? Tell me what would be the use than of a multiple-bay NAS with RAID with such a fragile SPOF you are suggesting...

The poster decided to install an unfinished OS (it's a BETA...) on his/her NAS that was apparently Important (so it was prod), then does an unsupported downgrade.. how is this synology's fault?

Doing something illogical as this can also have consequences like this on a Windows machine..

Wow, I came here looking for tips not reprimands (n)
I like software, I like cutting edge releases guys

Docker is not available for my DS214play
No other workarounds to run third party apps on v7 in its current state?
No one in these forums tried unofficial downgrades?

I think no one here managed the downgrade from 7 to 6.x
then you need google “downgrade synology dsm” ... tons of guides there (from 6 to 5). No guarantee of success.
Good luck

How did you find it compared to 6 when running on your 214? Faster, slower, felt sluggish when launching packages/invoking services…?
And if you must say one word about it, what would it be?

Lightening fast to login and launch stuff
One word... FAST!
-- post merged: --

I think no one here managed the downgrade from 7 to 6.x
then you need google “downgrade synology dsm” ... tons of guides there (from 6 to 5). No guarantee of success.
Good luck
Mate, look at the reddit thread I googled / linked to in my original post, there were several peeps who managed the downgrade. My downgrade was 95% successful apart from the non mounted drives.

I registered here because it appeared to be a fanbase for Synology owners to talk shop and offer experience, tips, solutions

@coffeesurfers it sounds that you’ve hit a brick wall. Do you have a Hyper Backup of your DSM 6 setup?

I’ve tried out DSM 7 beta within VMM on my DS1520+. With the minimum 1GB RAM allowed by VMM it seemed to run well while opening various packages. Haven’t had time to dig into it much.

The lesson here is to participate in betas and major OS updates using sacrificial kit, virtualised environments, or replaceable drives. Eg on my Macs I first test OS updates built and booted on external drives. When applying the update to the main drive I’ll have a bootable clone ready in case the update fails. It’s less stressful this way.

It would be good if Synology implemented a way to have a second DSM image/environment to enable rollback. But if volumes aren’t visible after upgrade to DSM 7 it would imply some serious under the hood changes to RAID support.

When applying the update to the main drive I’ll have a bootable clone ready in case the update fails. It’s less stressful this way.
Is this workable. I understand that once you move to DSM7, that the NAS firmware is rewritten, so if you were to shut down and install new disks, they will get DSM7, even if they were from a DSM6 machine.

For example.
  1. Remove v6.2 disks from NAS
  2. Add fresh disks, restart and install DSM7. When complete,
  3. Shutdown, remove DSM7 disks and reinstall DSM 6. Restart.
What happens next? DSM7. Yes?

Is this workable.
Example was how I approach Mac updates, of which I’ve a couple of decades for OS X and a few more years with classic Systems 6, 7, 8, and 9.

With DSM I’ve less experience and only having the ability to run vDSM has prompted me to test it. I suppose I could try it on my DS215j now it’s not doing much.

Like with my iPhone I don’t relish applying betas that can’t be rolled back.

I just got a TP-Link smart [managed] switch and that supports two firmware images and two configurations. You can select which of these get used on the next boot up. Sure it can’t really be compared to the much more configurable DSM but it would be a nice feature if Synology could effect something similar.

Did you look into Download Station? I cannot use my sabnzbd w/ python3 because of it being a 3rd party app, but Download Station is doing a very good job I think for downloading, repairing and extracting nzbs....

Only issue I have is that Download Station keeps waking up my DS 220J (see below), even though no job is running and no folders are monitored by Download Station...

2020-12-15T01:10:11+01:00 running job: pkg-DownloadStation-DownloadStationMonitorTransmissionJob with command: /var/packages/DownloadStation/target/bin/synodlmonitortransmission --check 360 as user root (state[Ready], trig[15 01:10:11], tab[10 -1 -1 -1 -1])

This is what I'm trying to understand. I would really love to try DSM7. I wonder if it's not downgradable even if I reset and format all the drives?

I just brought a new 220J. If erasing everything allows me to downgrade back to DSM 6, it's a good chance to try DSM7 now that I have no data to lose.

@pst.nn don't try DSM 7 beta unless you are happy to be stuck on a DSM 7 NAS.

With DSM 6 you'll have an established OS and packages. Take time to get familiar with DSM and when DSM 7 is out of beta and a couple of point upgrades old then that is the time to start to consider migrating.

Many of the whizz-bang packages that are touted on Synology's DSM 7 webpages are really best used with a higher spec NAS than a j-series. For instance, Synology Photos replaces DSM 6's Photo Station and Moments with a Moments-like package, but know that Moments is more resource heavy than Photo Station.

If you had a plus-series NAS then you could run Virtual DSM 7 beta in Virtual Machine Manager package, and that's how I've tried it. I left the virtual DSM 7 running for a while but TBH I'm happy with DSM 6 so turned of the VM and will wait a while longer until I consign my hardware to a one-way upgrade.

What if you removed the button cell battery from the motherbaoard and left it out for a while then replaced it, stick a completely clean hdd in the bay and attempt to synology assistant to it?

Just a thought - don't flame me for asking!

What if you removed the button cell battery from the motherbaoard and left it out for a while then replaced it
Again...
Not downgradable.
Had you copied the boot image prior to updating the NAS, you might have a shot at restoring the NAS to an earlier version. AFAIK, very few had the foresight or capability of performing that task.

Sorry you got trapped coffeesurfers - the upgrade to DSM7 came with full disclosure that 3rd party applications may not work, that DSM was NOT downgradable (officially) and by rule it is never a good idea to run production equipment on beta releases of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.