DSM 7.0 Downgrade from DSM 7 ---> DSM 6.2.3

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Downgrade from DSM 7 ---> DSM 6.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
That's one of the things I dislike about Synology. Their policy of no return on upgrades to DSM.

DSM should go on a thumb drive or on a chip on the board and leave your disks and data alone!
- It is very common that upgrading to major OS means no return. Not always of course but when the microkernel, firmware on different components, sdk etc. are upgrading, then the device built for the new use case. The vendor will need to create a recovery method and some adaptations which is really sometimes what they want to avoid. This is why it’s version 7.0 and not 6.3.. cutting edges. Except if you buy a NAS from Oracle ;)
It’s all about price and tradeoff for both the consumer and the vendor

- if the OS would be installed on internal flash (again cost) then it means that not only you will have hard limitations, but also it means 1 point of failure. Nevertheless that the all redundancy and recovery is not worth.

At your risk, try the downgrade procedure below (require an extra hard drive):
1. BACKUP your data!! Make an extra backup as well.
1.1 check the integrity of your backup and disconnect it from your nas.
2. Insert a disk that you’re happy to wipe and remove the rest
3. Start the NAS and from SSH type:
sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION
3.1. Overwrite the conten:
majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
major="6"
minor="2"
micro="4"
productversion="6.2.4"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25556"
smallfixnumber="0"
nano="0"
base="25556"
builddate="2021/03/18"
buildtime="14:42:30"

4. Reboot the machine
5. Install DSM 6.2.4 and if there is an error, repeat step 3 (user root password: 101-0101)
6. Install DSM 6.2.4
7. Migrate the data from the backup or whatever method you choose.

Again - make a backup. Rule of thumb, always backup before playing with an OS.
If your data is important to you, you should maintain a backup and archiving (m.disc is the most reliable) strategy also when everything works perfect even if there was no issues in the last decade :)

- It is very common that upgrading to major OS means no return. Not always of course but when the microkernel, firmware on different components, sdk etc. are upgrading, then the device built for the new use case. The vendor will need to create a recovery method and some adaptations which is really sometimes what they want to avoid. This is why it’s version 7.0 and not 6.3.. cutting edges. Except if you buy a NAS from Oracle ;)
It’s all about price and tradeoff for both the consumer and the vendor

- if the OS would be installed on internal flash (again cost) then it means that not only you will have hard limitations, but also it means 1 point of failure. Nevertheless that the all redundancy and recovery is not worth.

At your risk, try the downgrade procedure below (require an extra hard drive):
1. BACKUP your data!! Make an extra backup as well.
1.1 check the integrity of your backup and disconnect it from your nas.
2. Insert a disk that you’re happy to wipe and remove the rest
3. Start the NAS and from SSH type:
sudo vi /etc.defaults/VERSION
3.1. Overwrite the conten:
majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
major="6"
minor="2"
micro="4"
productversion="6.2.4"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25556"
smallfixnumber="0"
nano="0"
base="25556"
builddate="2021/03/18"
buildtime="14:42:30"

4. Reboot the machine
5. Install DSM 6.2.4 and if there is an error, repeat step 3 (user root password: 101-0101)
6. Install DSM 6.2.4
7. Migrate the data from the backup or whatever method you choose.

Again - make a backup. Rule of thumb, always backup before playing with an OS.
If your data is important to you, you should maintain a backup and archiving (m.disc is the most reliable) strategy also when everything works perfect even if there was no issues in the last decade :)
No, that's not how this works, even when downgrading from one version of DSM6 to a prior one.
If you are going to downgrade to 6.2.4, then you need to edit the VERSION file to show the version PRIOR to 6.2.4, not 6.2.4 itself. That is, the NAS checks the VERSION file, and will update DSM if the version shown in the VERSION file is OLDER than the version you're trying to update to... not if the version is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.