Downgrade Nextcloud using Docker to solve a problem?

Currently reading
Downgrade Nextcloud using Docker to solve a problem?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have Nextcloud working on my Synology (DSM 6.2.4) using Docker. Yesterday I was unable to login via its website. I get an error "405 Not Allowed" which appears to be an Nginx message. I am able to login and use my Nextcloud via its iOS app. But anything via http/s seems to fail. I have another Nextcloud on another Synology which is working fine.

So what happenned? Did my updating Nextcloud via Docker break it? I want to find out by downgrading from Nextcloud:latest to, say. Nextcloud 19.

I know how to upgrade a Docker app but how to downgrade? I can download Nextcloud:19 but if I delete Nextcloud:latest am I also deleting all its settings (the Environmental Variables etc, obviously my user data is stored elsewhere)?

(Side question, where does Nginx come from? As far as I knew I'm running Apache?)

Any updates on the client applications available?
There is for the Desktop Client Introduction — Nextcloud Client Manual 3.3.3 documentation but as it currently works, I'm not going to update. At the moment I can add a file from my desktop Mac to the NC files list (which I see as a list in Finder). That gets uploaded to my NC and I can see the file using the NC app on my iPad. I can even get a share link which opens the file in a browser. So it all works other than _something_ in a web browser. And that includes the apps such as Calendar and Contacts on macOS which use the same https://nextcloud.myserver.tld address to access CardDAV and CalDAV.

That particular set of reverse proxy rules can not be configured using the ui. Though, they can be configured via shell. I wrote a tutorial on how the integration needs to be done.
AFAIK they're hard coded into Nexcloud so even if I could fix them - and many people have tried - wouldn't they just break on the next update. Having said that I have just seen one person praise NC for fixing this in the latest version 22. But, one person...

That would take me back to my original question. I'm using the 'latest' Docker image. How can I use a different version? I think I'm running version 22.1.1. How can I roll back to say version 21 or 20? The above answer from @fredbert seemed too hard so maybe not possible for me.
Then it's a redirect NC implements, but still the approach is wrong as the behavior is identical as wiring nextcloud-http directly to the container. You will want to have that redirect as early as possible to make sure not even a single file is served using http.
I was looking to see if we could exclude both the RP and https. See if it will serve anything on a plain http connection. As a test.

Upvote 0
AFAIK they're hard coded into Nexcloud so even if I could fix them - and many people have tried - wouldn't they just break on the next update. Having said that I have just seen one person praise NC for fixing this in the latest version 22. But, one person...
Those are the rules, I was refering to: Reverse proxy — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation. The Syno-RP requires the nginx rules you see there.
That would take me back to my original question. I'm using the 'latest' Docker image. How can I use a different version? I think I'm running version 22.1.1. How can I roll back to say version 21 or 20? The above answer from @fredbert seemed too hard so maybe not possible for me.
I would be surprised if Nextcloud would use something like Flyway or Liquibase to version the database scripts and revert scripts that are not ment for the version you want to roll back.

Your only change probably is to delete the existing container create a new one based on an older image (e.g. like @fredbert wrote).

But:
- make sure you create backups of the host folders you mapped into the nc container as volumes, same for the database if it's containerizied. Make sure the containers are turned off while the backup is created to ensure the state is consitent
- Delete the NC container and create a new Container based on the old image (see the Tags tab on the Dockerhub page for available tags). Though, there is no guaranty that using an older version of NC is compatible with the current Database schema. Depending whether structural changes, like renaming database tables or modifying columes (remove/add/change of datatype), have been applied to the database from the current NC version.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone @one-eyed-king , @fredbert , @Rusty but I think I'm going to give up now. Earlier I said:
Honestly, I'd give up, throw it all away and start again. I have all my files saved locally. But... NC is also my Calendar and Contacts server. At least one of my Calendars isn't synchronised with my desktop app so I can't 'export' it.
I've now found and been able to export the data I need using a different Calendar app. I'm uploading data to the Synology apps, Synology Contacts and Synology Calendar. Both of these have a couple of annoying faults but nothing I can't manage to live with.

Here's a funny thing, I can't access Synology Calendar using macOS Calendar app. Its exactly like the 'well known hosts' issue which I thought was a Nextcloud problem. I kinda need Calendar.app to sync as I have another app which sends events to it. I'll ask again later, in a new thread.

I'm also going to migrate my files to Synology Drive. The actual macOS desktop app for this was a total disaster last time I looked so I'll be looking for a workaround to sync files from my Mac. But it maybe possible.

So thanks again. I'll migrate to the Syno apps and destroy Nextcloud. Maybe I'll do a reinstall once my data is safe. but by then I think I'll stick with the Synology stuff.

Upvote 0
For interest, I updated my phpMyAdmin and MariaDB Dockers. The result of which is a different error message.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

I can't see anything - I mean that literally, its too hard to read - in the nextcloud.log. I'm going to point the finger at MariaDB.

Upvote 0
For interest, I updated my phpMyAdmin and MariaDB Dockers. The result of which is a different error message.

I can't see anything - I mean that literally, its too hard to read - in the nextcloud.log. I'm going to point the finger at MariaDB.
So this error happens when you try and access phpmyadmin URL (site) or what?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
That is a MariaDB issue, I had it a while ago, it's due to permission changes they made.. Sorry I can't remember the fix off the top of my head.

Quick google came up with:
Code:
https://help.nextcloud.com/t/mariadb-upgrade-from-10-5-11-to-10-6-causes-internal-server-error/120585

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.