Drive Critical, questions before replacing it

Currently reading
Drive Critical, questions before replacing it

2 days ago DSM messaged that one of the drives is in Critical state (DS920+, DSM7.2, 2x 4Tb ironwolf, SHR).

However storage pool is "Healthy".

I ordered a new drive, that just arrived, now the message has repeated and storage pool status is "Warning".

On the drive health:
  • SMART quick test returns passed
  • SMART extended test returns "Failing"
  • Ironwolf health return "Normal"

This is my first drive that is failing, I think I how to replace it: disable drive in DSM, remove, insert new one, repair array

I have two doubts however:
  • Should I wait until the array crashes or replace immediately?
  • The failing drive is inside warranty from Seagate (checked through SN in their website). What "evidence" should I collect before removing the drive to sustain the claim for the warranty?

Solution
Don't wait, why should you?
Typically, the extended smart printout showing the fail should be sufficient evidence for a replacement. And you still have the disk....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.