Drive not on compatibility list for one NAS, but ok for another - ok?

Currently reading
Drive not on compatibility list for one NAS, but ok for another - ok?

NAS
DS1517+, DS1515+, RS815+, RS1221+
I'm considering RS1221+ or RS2421+ with WD SA500 SSDs + 10GB LAN for a new SAN config for our SMB virtualized servers (ESXI). I'm seeing that the SA500 is on the compatibility list for the DS918+, but the HDD/SSD compatibility lists for the RS1221+ and RS2421+ are very sparse at present; of course Syno drives, but little else, and not the SA500.

As a long-time Syno NAS user, I'm used to seeing sparse compatibility lists for newly-introduced NAS. I just looked to see if my preferred drive is on the compatibility list of a different Syno NAS, and if so, buy and deploy confidently. Haven't had a problem so far.

And why not Synology's SA5200 instead of SA500? More than double the cost, with similar performance for my application (yes, there's an endurance difference, etc.).

I'm now concerned that if Synology is beginning to lock down compatibility lists to very few (read, more expensive) options, I might get caught.

I've seen the statement in the RS3621RPxs datasheet: "Only drives listed on the compatibility list can be used to create storage pools", and seen @Robb 's post where he met the consequences of that statement head-on. That statement isn't in the datasheet for the RS2421+.

However, I've also seen the online help for DSM 6.2.4 where if a drive is found to be unverified or incompatible, you're toast! DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc. Does this imply that 6.2.4 and above will do this on all NAS, or just xs-series and above? The help article isn't clear.

Am I heading into trouble here?

We all have concerns about Synology locking down 3rd party drives, but it appears that they are (for now) locking down certain enterprise level NAS models only. As such, it would shock me if their own rebranded drives (believe they are Toshiba with specialty firmware) would be incompatible. If uncertain, I'd open up a support case to clarify as they are a bit slow on updating the compatibility matrix.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.