Currently reading
DSM 6.2 Drive recycle bin restore - partial failure

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Yesterday a folder within Synology Drive was accidently deleted. I was able to see this folder and files in the recycle bin, I then attempted a restore from the iOS mobile drive app. In the notification center I got "Failed to restore Folder Name" Partial failure. It appears that the folder was restored along with a sub folder, however no files were restored. All of the files contained within are PDF files. The only way I was able to get the files back, was through file station, recycle bin and then do a "copy to" back to where it was.

Drive Setup: I have versioning turned off since its covered/backed up through Hyper Backup nightly and Snapshot replication every 6 hours. This was a folder on a Windows laptop located on the desktop. Using latest Drive 3.0.1 the desktop is setup as a two-way sync with the NAS.

I would imagine the recycle bin has nothing to do with versioning, and thought it would act just like the recycle bin does on a windows computer. Why would only the main folder, and sub folder within that restore, but no files (pdf)?

some more testing with this, when you're using synology drive, regular files do not go to the synology drive UI recycle bin. However you will find the files in the recycle bin when browsing using file station. I also tested this with the same behavior in my virtual dsm 7 as well.

Is this normal? Happening to anyone else? Example, If your computer docs are sync'd with synology drive and you delete a doc will it not show in the recycle bin within the drive user interface? And only shows in the recycle bin when browsing through file station?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Drive retains the latest version of the deleted files! These files can be seen and restored from Drive Explorer using the "Show deleted files" feature.

Are you mistaken this with Active backup? "Show deleted files" is not in drive. Ok I see what you're referring to. In Drive admin, team folder, then version explorer.

** Solution: So it appears that versioning needs to be on in order for deleted items to be restored from the recycle bin **

This is kind of a bummer, I do not need versioning (or multiple copies of the files) since I have snapshot replication and HB where I could restore from in case of a catastrophic loss. However the recycle bin would be useful for anything other than a catastrophic loss, just as the recycle bin on a win computer.

1631323017870.png

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.