Question Drive share links?

Currently reading
Question Drive share links?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Hi All,

I’ve been using Drive for my iPadOS and iOS applications and so far I like it. Now I’m trying Drive’s sharing feature. I think it’s better than sharing using DSM as it won’t expose the DSM assigned port, provided that you’ve added a port for Drive in the DSM’s Application Portal. However, I end up with something like what’s shown in the screenshot with those two icons that once clicked will take you to the Drive login screen! I don’t want that. I want my link to be as obscure as possible.
2B711A3B-3EB2-47E9-A252-8331A58F44F6.jpeg
I know that if someone deletes the numbers at the end of the link all the way to the end of the port number and reload the page will end up with Drive’s login screen, but that’s not as obvious as those two icons which is OK.

All I’m trying to do is display a simple text file (e.g. to pass bank account info, credit card details and the like).
I want the person with the link to see the file displayed immediately, like if it’s a web page. I’ve even tried creating a simple HTML file with a few lines, yet it never shows the actual contents of the file on the browser (even simple text or html files). I don’t know what the “view only“ option means! I must enable download to be able to click on the file and view it (and dload it, which I don’t want, but not a big deal).

Any suggestions? Even a different solution or idea. Thanks.

I’m trying to avoid that :(

I want to be able to create a simple text file, save it to Drive and pass the link to someone while hanging on the edge of an airplane wing :)

I want something like this on my DiskStation.

It seems that the Drive solution is meant for registered users on a NAS (more of a business environmen). I’m trying to find a way to send an upload link to an “external” person like we do in DSM to no avail.
The only documentation I can find is what’s under help in the apps and a white paper!

I guess I‘ll keep using it for my iOS apps but nothing more for now.

Re: Drive External link:
you can send a link from Drive to anyone
1. Select file to Share (browser, in MS Explorer, iOS APP, ...)
2. Select Privacy settings:
a) Private - only invited can access
b) Internal - anyone with an account can view
c) Internal - anyone with an account can edit
d) Public - anyone can view
e) Public - anyone can edit
3. Advanced Protection Link setup:
... allow option to download copy (y/n)
password
expiration

then you can send text file with your IBAN to anyone with the Advanced Protection Link (include expiration or download lock)

Re: Drive External link:
you can send a link from Drive to anyone
1. Select file to Share (browser, in MS Explorer, iOS APP, ...)
2. Select Privacy settings:
a) Private - only invited can access
b) Internal - anyone with an account can view
c) Internal - anyone with an account can edit
d) Public - anyone can view
e) Public - anyone can edit
3. Advanced Protection Link setup:
... allow option to download copy (y/n)
password
expiration

then you can send text file with your IBAN to anyone with the Advanced Protection Link (include expiration or download lock)
I did all that. It’s what prompted me to start this thread :)
it‘s useless for what I’m trying to do.

My last comment was about not finding a way to send an upload link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.