Question Drive ShareSync - client vs. server

NAS
DS213j, DS115j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I've started using Drive ShareSync to keep a few shared folders on two NAS's in sync, as offsite replicas of each other.
Essentially I'm looking to do something like this:

DS213j DS115j
Folder A -> Folder A
Folder B <- Folder B
Folder C <- Folder C

My question is:
Is there any functional difference between which NAS in this setup acts as the ShareSync client vs. the server?
ie. Scenario A: DS213j (client) uploads Folder A to DS115j (server)
vs. Scenario B: DS115j (client) downloads Folder A from DS213j (server)

Two of the directories being synced contain a small number of large files (8 x ~80GB files) that rotate once a week. As a result, there seems to be quite a lot of CPU work involved on the client side when a new file needs to be synced.
Given that neither of the NAS's in question is very powerful it could save a lot of time to have this configured the 'correct' way around.

Thanks.

Q:
Is there any functional difference between which NAS in this setup acts as the ShareSync client vs. the server?
A:
YES, for mentioned plan you need setup each NAS as the independent ShareSync server (replica purposes)
NO, when you need just two-way sync of same folders between two NASes (collaborative purposes)

An example, when your Primary NAS is DS213j.
You need:
1. connect to your second NAS (DS115j) from the Syno Drive ShareSync (Add a new NAS)
2. setup Folder/s for the Sync services from the DS115j to your DS213j
3. setup Permission Settings: Download data from the remote Synology Drive ...

then you will get Replica from your remote NAS, follow your Folder/File filter setup.
For the second replica scenario just replace the NAS roles.

1593079163972.png

Q:
A:
YES, for mentioned plan you need setup each NAS as the independent ShareSync server (replica purposes)
NO, when you need just two-way sync of same folders between two NASes (collaborative purposes)

An example, when your Primary NAS is DS213j.
You need:
1. connect to your second NAS (DS115j) from the Syno Drive ShareSync (Add a new NAS)
2. setup Folder/s for the Sync services from the DS115j to your DS213j
3. setup Permission Settings: Download data from the remote Synology Drive ...

then you will get Replica from your remote NAS, follow your Folder/File filter setup.
For the second replica scenario just replace the NAS roles.

I understand that this falls under 'replica purposes' and so two way sync is not required.
However I'm still not sure how this should be configured for a one way sync.
If we take this example, where Folder A exists on my 213 and I want it replicated to my 115:
DS213j DS115j
Folder A -> Folder A

Which is better:
213 (client) uploads to 115 (server)
115 (client) downloads from 213 (server)

Or are they identical?

Just FYI... you show these as one-way syncs... if that is all that is needed "Shared Folder Sync" would serve this need without involving Synology Drive Server.

Interesting that you should mention Shared Folder Sync...
I was using that initially, but I found that the sync job messed with permissions on the target folder. That is why I started using Drive ShareSync instead as it doesn't seem to impact the permissions of the shared folders.
I made a thread about it, here.

Thanks both!

could you please explain how to setup Drive ShareSync?
i want to use it to backup one NAS to my second NAS, but i cannot for the life of me figure it oiut.

Last edited:
It's a sync tool, not a backup. Exactly what is your objective? Have you considered Hyper Backup or Shared Folder Sync?
The opening screen says, Keeps your NAS synced, and shows one NAS, pointing at the other.

I am currently using hyper backup, The reason I do not like it is because its not backing up the raw files. It backs up the entire NAS into a file type that can only be opened with the Hyper back up explorer, or whatever its called.
you cant even see what file you are looking at using explorer, you have to download it to even see what it is.
no thumbnail view

I just want the actual files to be copied from one NAS to the other NAS, should be an easy process, but apparently its not. And I don't know why.

another person said they were using Drive Sync to do this, which is the only reason I even tried. But now this is just causing more stress.

it should be a simple task to copy the contents on one to another. but that apparently cant happen??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.