DSM 7.1 Drive size limitations (Info For future Drive Purchases!)

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Drive size limitations (Info For future Drive Purchases!)

Last edited:
Mr. T: I asked the support guy about what you said (No Drive Size Limit), and he reported back as before...
2x 16TB drives in SHR is largest that 718+ & 720+ can support...

Conflicting information continues........ But:

Thankfully, I'll be going from 2x 6TB in SHR to probably 10's or 12's when it happens... so I'm outside the limits.....Where-ever they are!

Last edited:
and he reported back as before...
Of course... He uses a script consistent with the compatibility list. He would be fired otherwise (and Tier1 support likely has less NAS knowledge than you, as they are scripted parrots for the most part). If you know SATA3, you'll understand there is no limit. There are others that use larger drives on these units.

FWIW, my USB dock says it's capable of drives up to 8TB SATA3, yet it is compatible with 20TB drives... Maybe more.

So... always do what Synology tells you if that gives you comfort. But don't pass on your capacity fears to others as some "drive size limitations"... As that is false.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.