Drives, drives and more drives

Currently reading
Drives, drives and more drives

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I originally posted this in my introduction, but I was wisely advised to post in a more appropriate forum. 🙂
My usage will be for media streaming, primary backup of photos data etc and iOS photos. I’ve pretty much decided on the DS920+ as I want 4 bays. My problems are with the HDD selection. As usual, there is a lot of conflicting information on the ‘net, so I’m hoping for some guidance from those more familiar with this subject. I’m either going with 3x 8Tb (to expand later, when funds allow) or 4x 6Tb. Either should provide for growth over the next few years. I tend to use Amazon UK a lot as the returns service is so straightforward, but some disks seem to be in short supply or from Amazon EU which incur import duty. I looked at the Toshiba N300 series, and, as if I’m not confused enough already, they have 2 different offerings, 1 just referred to as NAS, the other as ‘New Generation’ but seemingly, still NAS drives. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
Are there any UK vendors (other than Amazon) folks can recommend?
I won’t bore you all with any details, but I’m being closely monitored by the hospital and it’s possible that I could be re-admitted at any time, if tests show any deterioration in my condition. This research is a very welcome distraction, but I’d like to get this in place quickly, so my wife has access to media in my absence.
Apologies for the length of my post!

I'm also looking to upgrade to a DS920+ in the UK and have spent this afternoon researching drives.

I am disregarding the Toshiba drives - by most accounts they seem to be very loud and my NAS will be near the TV in the living room. Also, when reading reviews of NAS's in general, nobody ever mentions Toshiba.... you'll save money but they don't seem to have stood the test of time.

I'm going to get 4 x 4TB WD Red Pro from ebuyer (very legit) for £115 vs £159 at Amazon. Saving of £176 overall!

The Toshiba N300 6TB and 8TB are the same price on ebuyer vs Amazon. They're more or less the same price at scan too which is another very legit tech shop.

Upvote 0
Nice one. Keep in mind that the whole Synology drive lineup is Toshiba under the hood, so don’t dismiss them so quickly. Still saying that, WD is still a great buy

Interesting. Lots of people seem to be saying that they are noisier when positioned vertically vs horizontally, which they will be in a 920+ / basically all non-rack NASs I guess.

The N300 are a further £25 cheaper than the WD Red Pro (on ebuyer) which is pretty meaningful when saved over four drives. Would you recommend them? Or is that too broad a question?

Upvote 0
I’ve ended up buying the DS920+ from Amazon and 3x 8Tb Seagate Ironwolf HDD from Scan UK. Just been setting it up today. 🙂 I also bought a Cyberpower UPS just to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
why purchase Red/Pro, or IronWolf/Pro or N300
when you can purchase for same or similar + few cost
Exos 7E8, or Gold or Ultrastar

don’t be tight fisted when you need purchase most important part of NAS = drives.

Upvote 0
why purchase Red/Pro, or IronWolf/Pro or N300
when you can purchase for same or similar + few cost
Exos 7E8, or Gold or Ultrastar

don’t be tight fisted when you need purchase most important part of NAS = drives.
I have a 6TB Ironwolf Pro I bought and put in my PC, is that okay to put into the NAS with 3 more IW Pro's? Or are they not worth it?

Upvote 0
I have a 6TB Ironwolf Pro I bought and put in my PC, is that okay to put into the NAS with 3 more IW Pro's? Or are they not worth it?
It will depend on your current array setup and your expected outcome. When it comes to mixing vendors, there is no reason not to do it as long as those drives are from similar segments. Also, depends on your current NAS swell. Some higher end models will start to have requirements for specific drives, and on top of that, list some "regular" drives as incompatible.

Upvote 0
It will depend on your current array setup and your expected outcome. When it comes to mixing vendors, there is no reason not to do it as long as those drives are from similar segments. Also, depends on your current NAS swell. Some higher end models will start to have requirements for specific drives, and on top of that, list some "regular" drives as incompatible.
Ah, I see. Thanks Rusty.

I will probably keep it all the same for now, starting with a fresh NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.