DS-718+ or DS-220+ for basic file storage?

Currently reading
DS-718+ or DS-220+ for basic file storage?

Hello,

I am new to NAS but not new to the IT field. I am looking for a simple solution to store pics/vids on a network attached storage device where I will retrieve them once in a while. My main need is a simple shared folder where I can create a folder structure as I organize my random files (old school). At most, I may install an app that allows me to copy files from an IOS / Android device directly to the NAS over WiFi.

I am primarily looking between the DS-718+ vs waiting for the newer DS-220+ if it offers a much better bang for the buck. I am sure I can go with the "standard" line but prefer slightly better performance if possible.

Any opinion on which of these two models would perform basic file copy / retrieval performance better when used on a 1Gb Ethernet to Windows 10 PC / Mac ? Would I notice any difference at all between the two?

Lastly, I am quite impatient when it comes to listing / retrieval of files. If neither of these devices is able to quickly populate file information when accessed, please let me know so I can consider a higher end NAS.

Thanks!

I had experience with a couple of 216 series - which is slower (specs wise) as compared to the 718+ and 220+. Implemented the 216 in a small business environment - and file retrieval/transfers was fine for me - all users were connected via Wifi.

Both 718+ and 220+ will do just fine in simple file transfers, may it be Wifi or hardline, but of course hardline is better. But, your perception of time is different from mine - what is fine for me may not be acceptable to you. So if you want a "better and quicker" solution - I would play safe, invest now on a higher spec NAS (NVMe caching might help you too).

1. when you need just simple storage for pics/video you can purchase budget based NAS (any of the low cost from Syno)
2. problems will come, when some of the video needs to be transcoded due your home video players architecture (old TV,....). Then you need forget for all “j” series and better is looking for “play” series
3. more problems will come, when some of the video will ask power based on h.265 10bit 4k with source transcoding. Then you need “play” series

with the “j” and “play” series you have to forget for next interesting Synology world, which is now discovered from each possible user levels - Docker (you can find more in this forum). Here you need “plus series”
also both mentioned series can’t support BTRFS, mandatory for great backup services for your Win devices (Mac OS is on this year roadmap).
All of the series can help you use:
- simple network share for the photo/video
- also for documents
- advanced solution from mentioned as your own cloud, based on Syno Drive

as you can see, you have more choices, how to start your journey with your first real NAS

finally there isn’t a miracle difference between existing 718+ and new 720+ (also valid for the 281+ vs 220+), except DDR4 RAM in the new line. Nothing more.

I am primarily looking between the DS-718+ vs waiting for the newer DS-220+ if it offers a much better bang for the buck. I am sure I can go with the "standard" line but prefer slightly better performance if possible.
If a 2 bay nas will be enough for you regarding storage space, go for a x20+ model when they ship. Better, faster (not a lot but still) and better and longer support.

Reading the answer to the last question ... NAS Compares - Synology 2020 Q&A with Taiwan HQ – Your Questions Answered
The DSx20+ are expected in Q3, so that's two months at absolute minimum.

If you can wait then you'll get DSM updates for longer (well they shouldn't be shorter). One thing to know: the DS2xx+ has a 2 year warranty and the DS7xx+ has a three year.

I have an older DS215j and it works well for file serving and more traditional network services ... i.e. not so good for Synology's newer web apps (Moments etc) and struggles more with web browser portals. If you're mostly going to be using SMB/AFP/WebDAV/SFTP then j-series will do what you need, but when you want to start using the more web interface heavy stuff then the standard, play, and plus models really help (the more processing and memory intensive then the higher up the range you should look).

If you're looking for a small home server then the + model is what you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.