DS audio DS Audio Connection Issue

NAS
DS224+, RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I have DS audio on an iPhone when on the home network I can connect to audio station using the NAS local ip. Prior to upgrading to DSM 7, I was able to connect DS audio using my domainname.com:443 in the ds audio app. The 443 port is reverse proxied to the default DSM port of 5001, which is what audio station also uses.

Did something change for audio station or the way the mobile apps connect with DSM 7? As mentioned before I was able to connect to it using my domain name outside of the network when I was on DSM 6.

There is no issues with port forwarding or domain names, because I am able to connect to drive, file station which all use the same domain name and RP connections. I checked for permissions, which haven't changed and look good (I don't think its a permission issue since I can connect locally but not remotely.)

Also of note, on the iphone while remote I am able to web browse to audio station using the mobile web browser. So this issue is contained to the DS audio app. I also noticed an update to the app was recently released a month ago 🤷‍♂️

*Adding some additional information. I reconnected the Audio Station Alexa Skill and that is able to connect with no issue. Considering that is a cloud service (not running or looking at the local network), this whole issue has to be isolated to the DS Audio App.

Solution
I resolved the issue. When I upgraded to DSM 7, I went into Security, Advanced and had changed the TLS/SSL Profile level to "Modern compatibility." I changed this setting back to Intermediate compatibility and I was able to login to DS Audio from outside the network (cell phone network). Not sure of the relationship between this and the app, but I turned it back to Modern and couldn't connect. I reverted back to Intermediate and then I could connect.

1639241463637.png
Last edited:
I resolved the issue. When I upgraded to DSM 7, I went into Security, Advanced and had changed the TLS/SSL Profile level to "Modern compatibility." I changed this setting back to Intermediate compatibility and I was able to login to DS Audio from outside the network (cell phone network). Not sure of the relationship between this and the app, but I turned it back to Modern and couldn't connect. I reverted back to Intermediate and then I could connect.

1639241463637.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Last edited:
Have you tried re-configuring the Audio Station app portal settings in Control Panel?

I’ve put my iPhone onto mobile data and can access using DS audio using the subdomain:433 like always.

Edit:
Didn’t see you’d updated. Still had this thread open on the phone but got distracted before replying 😀

Upvote 0
Last edited:
The issue I had is contained to dsm control panel security then advanced. If you change the TLS /SSL profile level to modern, I bet you would not be able to connect using ds audio on mobile data.

Upvote 0
It's somewhat disturbing that Synology's own apps are unable to perform under "modern compatibility". One would think that is a baseline for all Synology packages, and that conflicts would be related to antiquated 3rd-party packages alone.

Upvote 0
The issue I had is contained to dsm control panel security then advanced. If you change the TLS /SSL profile level to modern, I bet you would not be able to connect using ds audio on mobile data.
Yep, you guessed right. From the built-in Help:

CompatibilityTLS Version
Modern1.3
Intermediate1.3/1.2
Old backward1.3/1.2/1.1/1.0

TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were deprecated in 2020.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.