DS audio DS Audio doesn't play anymore on iPhone

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm a long time Synology, Audio Station and DS Audio user. Since a couple of weeks, my DS Audio app doesn't play songs anymore. When I select my Apple TV or an uPnP/DLNA renderer, it does play fine. But when I set it to play via my phones speaker or in the car via Bluetooth on the car stereo, it doesn't play. Whenever I select a playlist, all songs are added to the queue. Then DS Audio tries to play each song, but it doesn't succeed and skips to the next, until it reaches the end of the queue. When I first manually download a song and then play it from the "downloaded songs" list, it does play.

Does anyone have the same problem? How do I resolve this and prevent it from happening again? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Bart

Solution
After a lot of emails back and forth, Synology support was able to supply me with a work around. The problem is apparently caused by some security-compatibility thing with iOS. There are two possible work arounds:
  • Set the TLS/SSL profile level for the whole Diskstation to "Old backward compatibility"
  • Disable SSL for the DS audio app.

I chose the latter. Combined with a user that has only access to DS audio and the music folder, this should be fairly safe. Synology support says their product development has put this item on the list to be solved. So in the longer term, it should be able to stop using those work arounds.

I hope this is helpful for people experiencing the same problem.
Hi Bart
I‘ve just set up my new DS220+ with the Audio Station, Media Server and iTunes Server running (and installed the Media Extention Pack too). Same behavior of the DS Audio app here. Can stream to other devices but the music won‘t play on the iPhone itself.
Hopefully you‘ll get a solution from support!
Greez, Marc
Hi Marc,
Synology support is working on this, but so far they weren't able to reproduce the problem.
Best,
Bart

Upvote 0
Last edited:
To clarify...songs downloaded to the phone within DS Audio playback, but playback of songs when logged into your NAS do not?
That‘s right. Songs downloaded play fine but streaming from the NAS doesn’t work. Songs just get added to the waiting list (but don’t show on any list in the app) and don’t play. It seem the app is trying to play them, but after an unsuccessful attempt just skips them. Problem exists on an iPhone 12 pro with iOS 16.1.1.
Btw, streaming works fine from the same NAS with an android phone.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Did anything change when things stopped working? IOS upgrade?, perhaps an upgrade to DS Audio?
Don’t know. Just installed my DS220+ on Monday.
The following versions are installed and running:
  • DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1
  • AudioStation 7.0.2-5305
  • Advanced Media Extensions 3.0.1-2004
  • Media Server 2.0.3-3105
  • iTunes Server 2.0.0-2723
  • DS Audio 5.16.4-457
  • iOS 16.1.1 on iPhone 12 Pro

Upvote 0
I just experienced some .mp3 files that I dropped into the music folder was playing through the browser of dsm audio station, but not playing on ds audio app. I then deleted the files out and re-added them, this time dropping them into file station and they worked fine. Weird, the other option that I have seen affect logging into DS audio in the past (which doesn't appear to be a problem anymore) is settings, security, advanced, the option for TLS/SSL profile level needed to be on intermediate compatibility in order to login to ds audio. Recently I was able to elevate this to modern compatibility and successfully login to ds audio.

While trying to trouble shoot the .mp3's not playing I also bumped this setting back down to intermediate compatibility. I am unsure which option got the files to now play in ds audio. I have bumped the profile level back to modern compatibility and I am still able to play with no issue.

Upvote 0
After a lot of emails back and forth, Synology support was able to supply me with a work around. The problem is apparently caused by some security-compatibility thing with iOS. There are two possible work arounds:
  • Set the TLS/SSL profile level for the whole Diskstation to "Old backward compatibility"
  • Disable SSL for the DS audio app.

I chose the latter. Combined with a user that has only access to DS audio and the music folder, this should be fairly safe. Synology support says their product development has put this item on the list to be solved. So in the longer term, it should be able to stop using those work arounds.

I hope this is helpful for people experiencing the same problem.

Upvote 0
Solution
Set the TLS/SSL profile level for the whole Diskstation to "Old backward compatibility"

I figured this is where there problem was.

Another option is custom, set all items individually on the nas as the highest, and then leave Ds audio for old backward compatibility. However when I tried that it seems like either the custom option didn’t work or the login for Ds audio was reliant on another item in the list. Maybe since you have the open communication with synology you can ask them about that. If that too is broke maybe they can fix.

Upvote 0
Another option is custom, set all items individually on the nas as the highest, and then leave Ds audio for old backward compatibility.
I don't have DS Audio in the custom list on my Diskstation. Are you sure it is in the list in your case? I only have System, FTPS, WebDAV and QuickConnect in that list.

Upvote 0
Of course I have Audio Station installed. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have had the problem this thread is about to begin with...

Upvote 0
Of course I have Audio Station installed. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have had the problem this thread is about to begin with...
True, but I have audio station installed and I have an option for it, so needed to find what the difference in setups are.

So then I’m guessing it doesn’t show in the custom list, for you and it does for me, is because you don’t have a reverse proxy name for it. Either way it didn’t work when I had lowered the security setting in custom for audio station. Going to have to wait for synology to address it.

Upvote 0
Synology support is working on this, but so far they weren't able to reproduce the problem.
I can duplicate it. .... iPhone SE 2nd Gen IOS 16.1.1 .. Can play all I want with DS File using quick connect- Nothing with DS Audio- Looks like it starts to play- PAUSE button shows then immediately shows play button.

Upvote 0
It is definitely TLS/SSL related, if it worked a few weeks ago. Prior to a recent update I had to keep the TLS/SSL setting on the middle compatibility option. If I tried modern ds audio was the only app where I couldn’t log in, this was happening for months. As soon as I ticked from modern to compatibility it would work, you could do this all day and reproduce.

Recently I too noticed on a recent up where I was able to select modern and now finally login to ds audio, so they for sure touched/did something in this realm. This is confirmed by the back and forth emails that you had with Synology, and a good thing they stated what they think the issue is. Hopefully they can fix it soon.

Upvote 0
I can log into DS Audio just fine. Music queues up fine but songs won’t play on iPhone 14 pro max. I click on play button and I briefly see the pause button before it’s replaced by the play button again. I’ve tried changing compatibility settings to no avail. Ive used suggested solutions to no avail.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.