Currently reading
DS video DS Video - buffering on 920+

NAS
920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My NAS is DS920+. When watching downloaded 1080p movies in mkv format (files normally between 5G to 10G) on my ipad remotely using DS video, it suffers from buffering. I had similar problem with my old 213 which does not support transcoding at all.
With this high end DS920+, I would have expected it has good transcoding capability and can detect what my client device is, i.e. ipad in this case, and transcode it to a suitable format to enable it to be played 'on the fly" on the ipad (transcoded to mp4?). However, this is not the case and it's video playing performance is just slightly better than my old 213.
My 920+ is connected by LAN to a 1G connection. I wonder if I have not set it up properly.

Have just tested DS video on iPhone XR with with a 1080p MKV file (H.264, with selected AC3 track). In the mobile app, video+audio transcoding is selected and AC3-passthrough disabled. There's no buffering and I see ffmpeg is taking ~14% CPU and streaming out is 16Mbps. This is on DS1520+ which is the 5-bay version of DS920+ and the only noticeable other internal difference is it has 8GB RAM ... ffmpeg isn't using much RAM either.

The NAS is connected dual 1GE on adaptive load balancing (for what it's worth ... nothing in this case) and then iPhone is using 802.11ac via RT2600ac (or MR2200ac meshed access point).

Upvote 0
My NAS is DS920+. When watching downloaded 1080p movies in mkv format (files normally between 5G to 10G) on my ipad remotely using DS video, it suffers from buffering. I had similar problem with my old 213 which does not support transcoding at all.
With this high end DS920+, I would have expected it has good transcoding capability and can detect what my client device is, i.e. ipad in this case, and transcode it to a suitable format to enable it to be played 'on the fly" on the ipad (transcoded to mp4?). However, this is not the case and it's video playing performance is just slightly better than my old 213.
My 920+ is connected by LAN to a 1G connection. I wonder if I have not set it up properly.
How’s you wifi connection? Check your DS Video server dashboard while streaming to be certain that it’s not causing problems on the NAS side.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Have just tested DS video on iPhone XR with with a 1080p MKV file (H.264, with selected AC3 track). In the mobile app, video+audio transcoding is selected and AC3-passthrough disabled. There's no buffering and I see ffmpeg is taking ~14% CPU and streaming out is 16Mbps. This is on DS1520+ which is the 5-bay version of DS920+ and the only noticeable other internal difference is it has 8GB RAM ... ffmpeg isn't using much RAM either.

The NAS is connected dual 1GE on adaptive load balancing (for what it's worth ... nothing in this case) and then iPhone is using 802.11ac via RT2600ac (or MR2200ac meshed access point).
Thx for your reply. I had the buffering issue when I was in the UK 10 days ago trying to watch remotely from the NAS located in my Hong Kong home. I think it’s possibly the UK generally low connection speed available (Virgin Media 100Mb) that caused the problem as I tried again today using the 4G phone connection on my iPhone in HK, the streaming was ok throughout.
-- post merged: --

How’s you wifi connection? Check your DS Video server dashboard while streaming to be certain that it’s not causing problems on the NAS side.
How do I check my resource monitor to find out. What do I have to look at when streaming?
-- post merged: --

Dear Fredbert one more thing I remember is that while in the UK I enabled AC pass through In the Video Station setting. Would that be one of the reasons for the buffering issue?

Upvote 0
How do I check my resource monitor to find out. What do I have to look at when streaming?
Here's me transcoding and streaming a 1080p MKV to my iPhone on the WiFi.

There's the ffmpeg process that's doing the conversion and the Widget that's showing the outbound bandwidth. It's normal DSM built-in features. Plex has a dashboard; Video Station doesn't.

1601730614643.png

Upvote 0
Dear Fredbert one more thing I remember is that while in the UK I enabled AC pass through In the Video Station setting. Would that be one of the reasons for the buffering issue?
A test of AC3-passthrough on/off makes no difference when playing on the phone. The ability to transcode at all would seem to depend on the selected audio track:
  • AC3: works
  • DTS: doesn't work
  • TrueHD: doesn't work
  • PCM: works

Upvote 0
A test of AC3-passthrough on/off makes no difference when playing on the phone. The ability to transcode at all would seem to depend on the selected audio track:
  • AC3: works
  • DTS: doesn't work
  • TrueHD: doesn't work
  • PCM: works
Thx. Unfortunately most of my movies are in DTS and TrueHD formats which are not supported by Video Station. I guess the alternatives would be (i) find other 3rd party app to play such formats, or (ii) convert movie to playable format by ios (e.g. MP4).

Upvote 0
This is my experience with DS video on iPhone. I've only a few concert/music 1080p MKV to test with. If your files are playing at all then I guess it could well be the outbound connection from home or the inbound connection when you're travelling. You probably haven't do it but DSM's Control Panel has the options for setting bandwidth limits in the Network settings.

The alternative would be to look at a different media server, such as Plex.

Upvote 0
This is my experience with DS video on iPhone. I've only a few concert/music 1080p MKV to test with. If your files are playing at all then I guess it could well be the outbound connection from home or the inbound connection when you're travelling. You probably haven't do it but DSM's Control Panel has the options for setting bandwidth limits in the Network settings.

The alternative would be to look at a different media server, such as Plex.
But does Plex support DTS and TrueHD?

Upvote 0
Yes. In the Plex iOS app I can select both these and they play (transcoded). I know that the DTS is actually DTS-HD MA.

You can try Plex from Package Center and use the same NAS media folders that you use with Video Station. Plex will keep its settings data separate from the media, in a Shared Folder it will created called Plex ( surprisingly).

Upvote 0
Yes. In the Plex iOS app I can select both these and they play (transcoded). I know that the DTS is actually DTS-HD MA.

You can try Plex from Package Center and use the same NAS media folders that you use with Video Station. Plex will keep its settings data separate from the media, in a Shared Folder it will created called Plex ( surprisingly).
I’ve installed Plex Server in the nas. My movies have all been stored in \\volume2\video from which Video Station/DS Video will access and play the movie files. However, i cannot figure out how to link this folder to Plex Server. It seems that I will have to make a copy of each movie file (I still want to keep using Video Station/DS Video) and save it under Plex Server in Synology before I can access it via Plex installed in my iPad. I wonder if my understanding is correct.

Upvote 0
Open Plex web interface and go to the Setting. Now find Libraries and you can create (or edit) libraries, per video type (film/tv), and add the folder from /volume2/video that holds that video type.

If you cannot access /volume2/video from within Plex then you will have to add read-access to the video Shared Folder for the plex user account (it's in Control Panel -> Shared Folders).

Upvote 0
Open Plex web interface and go to the Setting. Now find Libraries and you can create (or edit) libraries, per video type (film/tv), and add the folder from /volume2/video that holds that video type.

If you cannot access /volume2/video from within Plex then you will have to add read-access to the video Shared Folder for the plex user account (it's in Control Panel -> Shared Folders).
Thx so much for your clear instructions. Plex is all set and works fine. Yes, it’s so much better with its streaming capability than that of video station. 🙏🙏

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.