1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DS video app for Apple devices (v3.4.3) has been reported to no longer work on Apple TV HD and 4K after upgrading to tvOS 14.2. The impact is that once a video is playing then there is no way to control playback using the iOS or physical Apple TV remote. The only option is to press Menu and this takes you to the Apple TV home screen (not back to the video's page in DS video).

There are multiple posts at The Other Place of people confirming this, e.g. DS Video for Apple TV tvOS 14.2 and Apple TV DS Video app malfunctions with TVos 14.2. I've confirmed this and raised a support ticket, as have others.

Until a new version of DS video is released the workarounds are limited:
  • Disable Apple TV's auto-update system setting and ignore all notices to update manually.
  • Use Plex or other media system.

Not good... One more reason that I never took VS as my choice of the media management platform. No flame to you @fredbert ofc, just saying.

Since v1, VS was not really there for me, and I see that client apps are still the main problem with this solution.

Hope they patch this asap.

VS and DS video has some good features when you're coming from iTunes and have to embedd tags and generally manage your own media. For family use it supports age ratings and each user can have access limited to the selected age tags, and an override PIN. The downside is that age ratings are erratic and apply to individual video items (not one per TV show): fixing these tags is very time consuming [if you haven't written an interactive script to speed it up :) ]

Plex is better, IMO, but to get age ratings for multiple users requires purchase of Plex Pass. Also, when there's an Internet outage you're a bit stuck when switching between users or wanting to login a device. But tag correcting is much less time-consuming than with VS.

When it all works there's no real downside to having both VS and Plex serving the same video files: one is better while the other is LAN-contained. They backup each other, and people can choose what they prefer.

Also, when there's an Internet outage you're a bit stuck when switching between users or wanting to login a device
Point for sure.

When it all works there's no real downside to having both VS and Plex serving the same video
I do have to say this has crossed my mind a while back... but considering that I was 2 lazy, here we are :D.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.