DS1010+ reinstalling firmware to interal usb flash

NAS
ds212, DS213, DS213+, DS1010+, DS1515+, RS814
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I have a DS1010+ that appears to have a corrupt of blank internal Usb flash unit

When I try to boot the DS1010+ it gets a blue flashing power light
I have tried with all drives removed but no change

As the unit has the Vga port I connected up a monitor and could see that the unit tries to boot but gets an error about 'Grub loading stage1.5.'

The boot never goes past his even if the unit is left on all day

I have removed the little usb bord from the DS1010+ and using the usb connector I can read the details and see folders but no files

From this I assume that the Usb Flash unit needs to be refirmwared

If I connect a usb stick with windows 10 install on it, It will boot from it and if I let it it would install the windows 10

Does anybody know if it is possible to reinstall teh firmware to the USB Flash in the DS1010+ to allow me to install the DSM and reuse this unit?

thanks
David

mr fredbert !!!

yep still got the broken DS1515+
no power at all even with a psu swap - so its the board being an ass, but got some bits for the board on order that hopefully will fix it

The DS1010+ starts up but doesnt complete the boot -
I was hoping that the usb flash from the 1515 would fit in the 1010 but I've found that the pinout of the usb flash board is different so I cant swap them over

My new 1515+ has arrived and is all up and running but I havent found a way to flash just the usb from the 1010 yet with another firmware

just trying to find 'somewhere' where I can get a copy of the Usb for the 1010

too many projects and not enough time....

Get in line. We’re waiting for the 918+ replacement.

Two dead units! Perfect excuse for a brand new one. You don’t even have to justify it to your “CFO-who-must-be-obeyed”, if you happen to have one. They’re there, dead. D-E-A-D.
What are you supposed to do! Kill yourself. Sheesh.

Solved! Don’t you love it when things work out at the end 😁

The only CFO I listen to is my wife....
I am just one of those guys who doesnt let kit die without a fight

I've worked too many jobs where I didnt get to'play with the nice kit' so these repair jobs are my own projects not work ones.

Stubborn by choice. Skint by profession.
:eek:)

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to reinstall the firmware on the internal USB flash into 1010+ as I have been trying to follow different instruction on how to extract the required files from a .PAT downlaod but I still dont see which files I need and exactly how to get them on the Flash

When I remove the USB Flash from the 1010+ and connect it to windows based pc I can see the partitions but no files in them - do I need to be runing Linux to see the files

My other option is to try to run Xpenology from a USB stick but I would rather run the DS1010 as stock if I can

I have tried to log a support call with Synology but they couldnt help me and only told me to buy a new unit

thanks
David

i only asked that as i read somewhere that the DSM is based on linux
im guessing this i cant seem to find a lot about the contents of the flash unit and the 1515 one doesnt have a usb connection to investigate its contents

Subject to confirmation it looks like I have fixed the booting / grub error on my 1010+

After a lot of searching and deadends I found a post where the poster had a zip file containing a image of the usb flash from a 1511+

using win32diskimager application I created a boot usb stick but it refused to boot

After weeks of no progress I decided to risk it all and used the the win32diskimager app to rewite the contents of the usb flash unit

I had decided that this was the units last chance and if it didnt fixit I would break the unit for parts or send it to the great parts bin

However joy of joys the unit was now booting ( to a degree)

after a couple of failed attempts to put a 1511 dsm image on the 1010 ( only because i assumed if it had a 1511 flash image then it would need a 1511 DSM

I tried a 1010+ DSM image and it installed though
I'm still testing it but all looks good so far

Just need to fix the DS1515+ now and all will be good with the world

Last edited:
using win32diskimager application I created a boot usb stick but it refused to boot
Hmm… not a very good start! A boot stick that doesn’t boot!

or send it to the great parts bin
I keep a lot of those bins and it drives my wife nuts.

Just need to fix the DS1515+ now and all will be good with the world
I’m sure a lot of people at this moment in the “world” will disagree with you! The whole world in fact. I think I’ll give you my last🧴100ML hand sanitizer, you need it more than me.

But I admire your persistence. What a cliffhanger. Keep us posted.

A 🍪 for the “whatever doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger” spirit :)

Latest update:-

decided to punish the little blighter for playing hard to get and shoved 2TB of data at it while deciding to install most of synologys packages repositry on it

Sad to but the little 1010+ looks to have amitted defeat and returned to the land of the living and just worked 100%

so I have fixed it or the cauliflower I sacrificed to the Great God of IT has had something to do with it

-

Now to see if I can resurect the dead 1515+ thats in the box on the wardrobe - although that may be a full on two cauliflower job...

Sad to but the little 1010+ looks to have amitted defeat and returned to the land of the living and just worked 100%
Wow! Nice.
Now to see if I can resurect the dead 1515+ thats in the box on the wardrobe - although that may be a full on two cauliflower job...
Looks like it’s going to be bumpy. Throw in some broccoli too for this one. Might be worth it.

Just wondering if you had more details about the boot usb; is there simply a usb drive sticking inside the chassis, or is it different?

I killed a 1010+ back in 2014 when i installed ipkg and synology updated.

I'd love to revive it; maybe i should start by disassembling the case and plugging in a VGA monitor...

Alright, i've gotten a few hints, so here's my progress.

1) My machine turns on with blue light flash. It does not stop flashing. It does not beep at any stage.
2) it has never gotten an ip address
3) i have tried resetting it (5second, 5second * 2, etc)
4) I have tried it with one empty drive vs no drives.
5) The last time i powered it on was 2013, it was "bricked" after a Synology Update. I had installed ipkg just a few months prior.
6) Is my nas completely bricked, or is it just a matter of reflashing the flash chip?

I disassembled the DS1010+ NAS, and removed the flash chip (It's just got 6 pins, and its not soldered). I plugged it into a linux machine, and it seemed readable.

there were two partitions; one that was 16MB and one that was 99MB.

I have successfully downloaded a release .pat file and extracted it, and find matching files inside.

My idea is to simply replace the 99MB partition's contents with files from the .pat file, namely zImage, md1, and all the checksum files. The dates of the files are roughly late 2013. It had DSM 4.3 according to the VERSION file.. The 16MB partitions files all their dates are from 2010; so i assume i don't touch those?

However, i hit a wall; the partition size is 99MB, and all the hda1 files from versions DSM 2.3, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 area ll > 100MB. The contents on the flash drive have HDA1 as 77MB. how is this possible?

How do i fit hda1.gz inside?!

More info: plugging in VGA monitor does nothing, i never get a response

Last edited:
Hello deastaugh and XeaLouS

Have you had any luck in restoring the bootloader on the DS1010+?
I have an DS1010+ that I got to run OMV on, when booting from and USB SSD.
It works but there is one problem; I must manually force the MAC addresses on the NIC at every boot. That also results in the device losing its network configuration.
Issues like that, makes me regret trying it in the first place.
I know about xpenology and use a VM with it, to verify my backups, but i feel that this box, just needs to revert to original synology DSM.
Unfortunately in my process of trying different things, something has happened to the internal bootloader and I quickly made a backup. But the bootloader is not working properly anymore. The internal drive works, I can access it when i boot it from a Linux recovery drive (parted magic).
I first noticed that the BIOS on the device was faulty, so I used an old know keyboard shortcut to, reflash BIOS with the official version from the .pat file.
That got BIOS up and running but still no go with the internal usb.

Have anyone had any luck getting the internal USB, reimaged with the official synology bootloader, by assembling it from the .pat file?

If you need 1010+ image I have it (5.2.5967.Update9). It could be written to Synology DOM by "damn small linux" (taken from QNAP DOM recovery procedure)

If you need 1010+ image I have it (5.2.5967.Update9). It could be written to Synology DOM by "damn small linux" (taken from QNAP DOM recovery procedure)
Yes please. If you would be so kind.
I will edit the mac adresses in the config files so they match my box instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back