DS1010+ reinstalling firmware to interal usb flash

Currently reading
DS1010+ reinstalling firmware to interal usb flash

take it, open in RAR (despite of ZIP extension), change MAC according to case sticker

Attachments

• DOM1010_5.2_5967.part01.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 176
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part02.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 146
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part03.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 138
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part04.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 132
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part05.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 131
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part06.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 133
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part07.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 132
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part08.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 139
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part09.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 131
  • DOM1010_5.2_5967.part10.zip
    2 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Update:
It works! But I am having problems booting with the correct MAC and serial.
Still working on it.
-- post merged: --

Update:
It works! But I am having problems booting with the correct MAC and serial.
Still working on it.
Nope
I am not getting the vender file right.
My MAC addresses are completely off and the Serial Numer is non existing. :(

Success!
I forgot that I did a backup of my own DOM.
From there, I was able to extract the vender file and inject it into the DOM image from @velder.
That worked!
Thanks for the help!

I first noticed that the BIOS on the device was faulty, so I used an old know keyboard shortcut to, reflash BIOS with the official version from the .pat file.
You give me hope that I may be able to do the same for my dead DS710+ which I also suspect has a dead BIOS!
Could you be a bit more explicit about how you performed the "old keyboard shortcut to reflash BIOS ...from the .pat file"? Do I need a monitor and keyboard connected (I don't think the 710+ monitor port works).

Last edited:
Ctrl-Home perhaps, file name should be AMIBOOT.ROM as found in Synology bios.ROM file

Ctrl-Home perhaps, file name should be AMIBOOT.ROM as found in Synology bios.ROM file

Thanks, have given that a try, without success so far, but I have a few follow on questions, which hopefully someone knows the answers to!

1) Does anyone know if the size or formatting of the USB drive for flashing the BIOS with matters? (eg does it have to be <2GB and EXTFS formatted, or will a 4GB MS-DOS/FAT32 or EXFAT formatted drive be okay?

2) Does it matter which USB port on the DS710+ I plug into? (Options are the front panel USB port used for copying flash drives, or one of the 2 rear panel USBs)?

3) Should the bootable internal USB Flash ROM module be removed while we try to re-flash the BIOS so it doesn't interfere with BIOS boot update USB ?

4) Also, I have a USB keyboard connected, but I've never seen it light up like you see when the system starts up normally. Does that mean it's not even initialising the keyboard, so won't recognise <ctl> <home> keys being pressed?

5) My 4GB USB flash drive doesn't have an LED, so I don't know if it's being accessed, and the VGA port on the DS710+ (with VGA monitor attached) doesn't seem to show anything. Would I be better to use the Serial Port flashing option, so I can see what is happening? (in which case, I will need to know which Header on the DS710+ board to connect a TTL to USB serial cable to).

6) One of the articles mentions using the Clear CMOS jumper, but I don't know where to find that on the DS710+ board. Any clues?

TIA

1. If I did it, I would use no more than 2GB and FAT16 just to be sure
2. Rear ports just to be sure
3. All unnecessary USBs should be removed just to be sure its filesystems not scanned and/or used
4. USB keyboard hasn't "all LEDs on - all LEDs off" effect as in PS/2 version (at least my USB keyboards), so may be no lights when bootblock init
6. Remove battery, wait a minute then return it

Ok, thanks for that! I have tried again, also tried using an external USB CD/DVD drive with a CD burned with just AMIBOOT.ROM on it, as I read somewhere that that should do the same as using a USB flash drive. The drive appears to spin up and be accessed but I have no clue what it does after that. Certainly leaving it for 30 minutes it just has the same blinking blue power switch LED, no beeps, nothing.

I think I really need to see whether there is any activity on the console port. Any clues to how/where to connect? Is JP2 pins 2,4,& 6 near the CMOS battery the place to hook up?

The Internal Flash has 2 partitions on it. a 99meg and 16meg. In those you will see the Vendor file. Vendor file contains all the MAC and serial info. If you edit it, you won't have to run a checksum. These were originally done in Linux, but you can do it in Windows as well.

Thank you, your img-file helped me.
I booted from live cd ubuntu, then clone with 'dd' internal USB to image. (always make backup).
Then I writed your image file from archive to internal usb drive(also with "dd"). after this then I replaced in internal usb rive only one file "vendor" from my backup. The partition had size 99mb.
Finally I restarted was and it's wok with correct serial number and macs.
take it, open in RAR (despite of ZIP extension), change MAC according to case sticker
Thank you, your img-file helped me.
I booted from live cd ubuntu, then clone with 'dd' internal USB to image. (always make backup).
Then I writed your image file from archive to internal usb drive(also with "dd"). after this then I replaced in internal usb rive only one file "vendor" from my backup. The partition had size 99mb.
Finally I restarted was and it's wok with correct serial number and macs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back