DS120J to DS920+ Migration

NAS
DS120J, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Dear All,

Longtime reader, first time poster here.
First of all, thank you all for this incredible resource. It is so nice to find such a trove of useful tips on the interwebs.
I ran a few searches to avoid posting a dupe but it seems that although some people are in my situation, very few posted on it.

I bought a DS120J during lockdown and I, like many, decided to step up my NAS game and will receive a 920+ shortly.
Now, the synology official website has migration stuff by it appears that a few things are not working in my favor for a peaceful migration (e.g. ext4 to btrfs, single bay to multiple bays, enablement of SHR etc.)

I was wondering if somebody was kind enough to point me in the right direction for an easy migration. Should I just put my HDD (4TB) in the new NAS and hope for the best ? Should I set up a couple of HDDs first and import the data second ?

I have another couple of 4TB HDDs on the way two so tomorrow i'll have the following:
Source : DS120J with a 4TB
Destination : DS920+ with 2x4TB

Regards,

S

I did simply moved my HDD from a DS713 to a DS1815+ and it did the trick ! But it was "multiple bays" to "multiple bays" and I didn't change the filesystem type obviously... Next, I had no issue to add extra disks...

But no idea how you will be able to extend your own disk within a new NAS, as it depends on how it was configured. I am quite sure that it's safe to move the disk from your DS120j into the DS920+ and just have a look on the options available in the Store Manager (Do a backup first.. Just in case)

In the past, I did use a Backup & Restore approach... It did work "quite well" but was far from "fully automatic"... Possibly see my notes: Migration from my DS209+ to my DS713+ | Beatifica Bytes

Actually, how to migrate will depend on your goal... to have two distinct volumes, one volume with a RAID 0 for performance, a with RAID 1 or any other to get redundancy ?

I was wondering if somebody was kind enough to point me in the right direction for an easy migration
You cannot migrate a single-disk NAS to a multi-disk NAS. You'll need to copy the data across your LAN.

Create an SHR volume with the new 2x4TB on the 920+, then, using the 920+, mount the 120j to an empty folder (via File Station/CIFS mount). Then copy away.

When you are satisfied that the transfer is complete you can either add the 4TB drive from the 120j to the 920+ (it will be formatted), or designate the 120j as a backup for your 920+.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.