DS1515+ Drive dies.

Currently reading
DS1515+ Drive dies.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Oh no!

Just had one of my WD red 3tb drives die in my 1515+. I heard the unit making a horrid racket, bit like a screeching sort of noise. I then got an amber led on drive 2 and a DSM message that my system partition had failed on that drive.

I had the unit do a restart and it was all back to normal.... Hmm. I did a quick repair of the system partition and it was fine again.

However, the noise soon returned. So I pulled the drive and replaced it with a (new) spare that I have. It's now repairing the volume.

There were no smart anomalies, no crc errors or bad sector shenanigans. However, the drive has over 35,000 hours under its platters, now that would be a very long career for an airline pilot!

What worries me is that the other four drives have similar hours.... gulp!

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
What worries me is that the other four drives have similar hours

Aren’t red drive rated for 1 million hours? Considering they’re built to be on 24/7 I’d assume your amount of hours isn’t anything critical; aside from the random failures that at times do occur.

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Well, the volume has repaired with the new drive.

I didn't know WD Red's were rated for a million hours? What's that? 114 years of 24/7 operation?

Looks like I'll be ok then! :D

It’s pretty crazy how WD comes up with that number, especially in general on a hard drive. We can all relate with hard drive failures probably within 5-8 year range on average.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Aye, same bullsh*t as what you get from politicians!

The dead drive is now in my e-sata enclosure, hooked up to my PC, formatted NTFS. I'm filling it with things I'd like to keep. Then I'll pull it, stick it in an anti-static bag and store it away. Maybe it'll be a lifesaver in an emergency! :D

There is something wrong with it... WD's Data lifeguard software won't complete its "quick smart test" on it.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
The dead drive is now really dead again! Part way through the transfer, the noise came back and it hard locked my pc.

I'll now permanently erase it with a .243 hollow point! :D

jeyare

Subscriber
NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
From my experiences I can recommend 48k hours (5+ years in 24/7) with Seagate Constellation CS range discs.
But: Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

PS: try TestDisk as my last choice for dead disks

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Just an addendum to my thread...

... the drive isn't dead, its still going strong! I just changed the orientation of the drive from vertical to horizontal and its been running fine for the past five months or so. Still attached to my desktop in and e-sata enclosure, which is lying on its side.

I guess it's now using a surface of its bearings that are still good? I'll report back when it finally does give up (again). :LOL:

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
And seconds ago I picked up a pair of 10TB Reds for 270 USD each... Color me old-fashioned.
That's not as old as me, I've just 'upgraded' my old 2007 iMac with a stopgap, secondhand 2012 Mac Mini ... with 1TB SSD. Works well enough until Apple's storage prices come down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.