DS1621+ NVMe recommendation

Currently reading
DS1621+ NVMe recommendation

You mean NVMe SSD's ?

It has huge benefits when it comes to increased performance for read/write operations to your storage pool(s). The size and make kinda depends on what you are using your NAS for, and how much budget you have. For example, if you plan to use this NAS as just a file server for backups then you won't need much SSD cache. But if you want to run a couple of Virtual Machines and highly loaded Maria/MySQL databases on your NAS, then having some juicy NVMe SSD's is definitly worth it.

Have a read on this page: SNV3000 Series | Synology Inc. .

If you do decide that read or read/write caching SSDs are needed then there is the SSD Cache Advisor that's built into Storage Manager. This takes the last seven days of accessed files and works out the total GB and then says to use that for the SSD... or that's what it seems to me what it does.

It's best to wait until you've finished setting up the NAS and transferring your files. Then wait until the novelty of having the NAS has worn off and you've stopped faffing about with it. Then wait a week and after that run the SSD Cache Advisor. This is mine after a month of having the NAS and I still think it's too much but I'm not planning to add cache SSD for what I do: it doesn't have an urgent user base, unless videos don't play.

1604960259060.png

Are there any other compatible and cheaper ones than those of Syno? Any recommendations?

PS: Planing on buying the DS1621+ ;-)
-- post merged: --

PPS: Please change the title to "DS1621+ NVMe recommendation"

I've just ordered two ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP NVMe drives (960 GB each) for my DS1621xs+
They are not only cheaper (USD/GB) than Synology, but they also have larger capacity, they have higher I/O, higher read and write speed, and the most important (for me) : they have Power Loss Protection (unlike Synology SNV3400).

I'll let you know how do they perform once I receive them.

I paid 258 usd for each. I ordered them from a company in my country (Hungary, Europe), the company is called 'Avnet'. They are an international comapany, so maybe you can find them in your country, too.
If not, you still can google for ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP and find where can you buy them.
(By the way, of course ATP offers the same NVMe drive with larger and smaller capacity, too. '960' in means the capacity, so if you need a smaller one, Google for 'ATP AF480GSTJA-8BAXP', etc.

Does anyone have experience with the WD RED NVMe? Like those:

1000GB WD Red SA500 NAS SATA SSD, M.2 (WDS100T1R0B)​

I paid 258 usd for each. I ordered them from a company in my country (Hungary, Europe), the company is called 'Avnet'. They are an international comapany, so maybe you can find them in your country, too.
If not, you still can google for ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP and find where can you buy them.
(By the way, of course ATP offers the same NVMe drive with larger and smaller capacity, too. '960' in means the capacity, so if you need a smaller one, Google for 'ATP AF480GSTJA-8BAXP', etc.
Very interested to see how you get on with these @sawwee... Do you get a message to say they are non-Synology?

Techradar talk of a new Ironwolf SSD with power protection, not cheap though. I don't think I need the power protection anyway, being behind a UPS. Mind you, I don't think I need NVMe at all, if I'm honest. even if the VMs and Plex server might see a boost...

Anyone have experience of Samsung NVMe m.2 in a Synology? They can be on offer sometimes too.

Very interested to see how you get on with these @sawwee... Do you get a message to say they are non-Synology?

Techradar talk of a new Ironwolf SSD with power protection, not cheap though. I don't think I need the power protection anyway, being behind a UPS. Mind you, I don't think I need NVMe at all, if I'm honest. even if the VMs and Plex server might see a boost...

Anyone have experience of Samsung NVMe m.2 in a Synology? They can be on offer sometimes too.
The items are supposed to be delivered today, I'll let you know once I installed and tested them.

I do agree that power lost protection is not absolutely necessary if you are behind a UPS. I also have UPS but I wanted to be protected against power supply failor, too. (Not to mention UPS failor. :) )

The Ironwolf SSD seems to be interesting. Its write speed is pretty slow, though, at least based on the Techradar review you mentioned.

Finally I've received and installed the ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP NVMe drives (960 GB each) for my DS1621xs+.
They are working perfectly and doing an amazing job. I enjoy the general speed increment and the amazing responsiveness of the system, but what I especially enjoy are all the database operation, they became much faster. (I run several MariaDB databases on Docker and I work with quite a large amount of database data.)

About the installation: everything went absolutely smoothly. In the beginning of the installation process the system warned me that this NVMe is not on the compatibility list of Synology, and it suggested me to install a drive from the compatibility list. The message also suggested me to let Synology know if the drive is doing well anyway, and ask them to put it to their compatibility list. (Unlike the warning about non-Synology RAM modules, this is a one-time warning, so once you confirmed that you don't mind to install these drives they won't bother you anymore.)
By the way, the only NVMe drive on Synology's compatibility list for DS1621xs+ is Synology SNV3400-400G, which is too small (at least for me), too slow and too expensive, and it doesn't have Power Loss Protection.

I'm very happy with these ATP drives.

Using a nvme ssd cache, when you have 3 of those SSD in raid as data disks does not make sense imho.
your speed benefit will be quite small, if noticeable.
Especially as using a nvme cache prohits TRIM and may shorten the life of your SSD's.

Using a nvme ssd cache, when you have 3 of those SSD in raid as data disks does not make sense imho.
your speed benefit will be quite small, if noticeable.
Especially as using a nvme cache prohits TRIM and may shorten the life of your SSD's.
Thanks for the reply. I am aware that there is a negligible speed difference in this setup but should clarify that I will eventually have this setup with a few HDDs populating the remaining 3 bays as a separate pool for slower-moving storage, which will eventually get the NVMe cache. I just need something now for video and media creation that's pretty fast and am trying to spread the costs out over 3-6months since I still have other storage options that will work for redundancy until I get everything consolidated to this new NAS.

Last edited:
I've just ordered two ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP NVMe drives (960 GB each) for my DS1621xs+
They are not only cheaper (USD/GB) than Synology, but they also have larger capacity, they have higher I/O, higher read and write speed, and the most important (for me) : they have Power Loss Protection (unlike Synology SNV3400).

I'll let you know how do they perform once I receive them.
regarding the PLP (Power Loss Protection), for a proper operation of the PLP you need 4 mandatory cooperated parts in your NAS:
1. NAS backed by UPS and correct communication between the two components (not just Power Low info)
2. NAS system (DSM) with ability to know of the certain level of each statuses from UPS
3. Disk controller with ability to provide “ a message” for host to stop transfer data in the right moment (critical feature fir the PLP)
4. NAS system with the ability to read data from NAND back to DRAM within the SSD (check of saved data during supported microseconds).

so and Syno DSM is far away from this kind of scenario support (specially fro first two).
Then PLP feature in SSD is pointless in Syno environment.
-- post merged: --

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that there is a negligible speed difference in this setup but should clarify that I will eventually have this setup with a few HDDs populating the remaining 3 bays as a separate pool for slower-moving storage, which will eventually get the NVMe cache. I just need something now for video and media creation that's pretty fast and am trying to spread the costs out over 3-6months since I still have other storage options that will work for redundancy until I get everything consolidated to this new NAS.
when you need significant speed for media creation you can use more useful RAID0. With 4x Exos 7E8 you can get capacity in tenths TBs with speed better than your SSD in F1 and also you can utilize more effective also 10G LAN (useful for such scenario) than the SSDs.
I hope that you are looking for the speed in area of:
- editing
- rendering
and not for an archive (there is the speed secondary factor).

Then PLP feature in SSD is pointless in Syno environment.
I sincerely disagree. PLP is still useful for example in case of power supply failor (which is one of the most frequent failor of Synology NASes), UPS won't help in that case. Moreover I had also cases when there was a communication error between my Syno and my UPS and it caused an uncontrolled shut down when blackout happened.

By the way, Synology also thinks that PLP is usefull in Syno environment, at least they provide PLP in their SNV-3500 NVMe SSD. (Unfortunately there is no PLP in SNV-3400, though.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.