DS1621xs+ backup to another RAID device

NAS
DS1621xs+, DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I want to have an offsite backup of my DS1621xs+. It's connected to an iMac Pro over 10GBe and 1GBe to the router. I will eventually get a second DS1621 offsite and use Hyperbackup / Hyperbackup Vault between them. But until then, my offsite backup solution is a 2-drive G-RAID Thunderbolt 3 device, which I planned to connect to my iMac over Thunderbolt 3 and manually copy stuff over about once a month. The data on the NAS is relatively stable so on the surface this didn't seem too onerous. But the manual backup process has become far too complex and too time-consuming.

HyperBackup seems to not support backing up to the G-RAID device connected over thunderbolt 3. I could probably connect it via the USB3 port on the back of the DS1621, but at that speed, it'll probably take months as I have 16TB of data.

Any recommendations as to how to best manage this backup and keep things synced up periodically without having to manually copy stuff over? I also use CarbonCopyCloner for my computers so that's potentially an option as well, though I don't know how/if it can back up a NAS.

Thanks for any recommendations.

For what it is worth... We perform rotating offsite backups of about 18TB from a DS1621xs+ to a 10GbE Mac using CCC - with an Oyen Digital Mobius Pro 2C hardware RAID enclosure attached to the Mac. Our primary, versioned, onsite backups are written to a DX517 with HyperBackup.

A full copy of 18TB from the NAS with Mac/CCC via 10GbE takes just over 22 hours. Faster than the DX517.

Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.