DS1815+ died - Is there a NAS that can mount the drives without data loss?

Currently reading
DS1815+ died - Is there a NAS that can mount the drives without data loss?

NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so let me say thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I own a DS1815+ and it is stuck with a blinking blue power light and a blinking orange alert light. I have 8 - 8TB Enterprise class drives in this NAS and I need to get the data back. From what I’m seeing the drives should be ok. Is there a newer Synology NAS that can accept these 8 HDDs and mount the volumes? There are 2 volumes each with 4 HDDs in a RAID5 configuration. I’ve spent a few days trying to find a solution to this and have not had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve worked with Synology in my professional career and have always thought highly of their products. But I have to say what I’m learning about the DS1815+ is disappointing so buying a new DS1815+ would be an option of last resort. Thank you.

Doug

Solution
Hello @Rusty, @EAZ1964. Thank you for the advice. While I’m OK with doing the repairs I’m having an issue that it may not be trustworthy. It is good to know there is a Syno NAS that will mount the volumes. @Rusty is there a document that explains how to recover the data once mounted in a new NAS? You mentioned it has no DSM so how does one talk to it?
Once you boot up your nas and install the dsm (if required) once that is done your user volume will be accessible as normal, and files as well, via File Station.
Looks like a potential C2000 CPU bug that is common with x15 models. Also the orange light indicates that there is no DSM installed on the drives, or that it is damaged.

Moving the volumes to a new unit will work, and your data is almost 100% intact as it is. You can move the drives into any compatible Syno NAS and the volumes will be visible. As to DSM setup and apps (config etc) that might be a problem if the "new" unit is not the compatible type for migration. Still, you can mount the volumes without any problem into almost any NAS that can accept more then 4 drives at the same time (for your particular case).

Atm, there is DS1821+ model as the current and latest 8 bay, or 1819+ as a previous one.

Upvote 0
Hello @Rusty, @EAZ1964. Thank you for the advice. While I’m OK with doing the repairs I’m having an issue that it may not be trustworthy. It is good to know there is a Syno NAS that will mount the volumes. @Rusty is there a document that explains how to recover the data once mounted in a new NAS? You mentioned it has no DSM so how does one talk to it?

Upvote 0
Once you boot up your nas and install the dsm (if required) once that is done your user volume will be accessible as normal, and files as well, via File Station.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you @Rusty. Seems pretty straight forward. Time to find a NAS. To everyone else, thank you taking the time to provide feedback.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.