NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a dead DS1815+ which won't power on and has NO signs of life! I have transferred all the HDDs to another DS1815+ and that's working fine, so no issues with potential data loss (Thank God!). I bought a replacement PSU, thinking that it must be the issue, but swapping PSU had made no difference.

So my question: is it worth while to have the dead DS1815+ repaired (probably needs new main board), or am I better off just scrapping it and considering a new, up to date model?

BTW, I live in Sydney, Australia - don't know if Synology has any authorised repair centres here.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Last edited:
Don't know about this one! Do you have a link describing it? I will also try Google search for it.
-- post merged: --

Did you try the "resistor fix" on the system board?
It's just a simple soldering job.
It would seem that the Resistor Fix is applicable when behaviour is erratic. In my case there is absolutely no indication that power is connected. Pressing the Power Switch has no effect, neither is pressing the Reset.

I would not expect the resistor installation to make a difference, however I could easily be wrong. What do you think?

I think, that for the cost of a resistor, it's worth a shot.
I would have to agree with you on that one. :D Do you think that the resistor would effect turning on the unit?

Intel CPU C2000 Clock fix (repairable by the resistor) has nothing to do with total death of some components in PCB. There is total different background and behaviour of the reason. Based on OP description.

It’s pointless to waste a time with this way.
For the right approach you need measure and measure = diagnosis. But you need right tools and experiences for that.

@Tedster
You are absolutely right in the interpretation, that lot of people have posted, that C2000 Clock Fix brought their units back to life. No doubt.

But the symptoms of the C2000 clock issue is about running, but not booting of the NAS, there isn’t issue in the PCB or PSU. The real reason is in the CPU architecture mistake (described by me in this portal last year).
When the LPC hangs, system isn’t able to use ROM for a booting = reason why all the NASes just running from switching on, but doesn’t boot and just blue LEDs flashing. It’s random behaviour.

OP’s description is about totally dead unit. No flashings. Just death. And after PSU replacement- still same behaviour. This is the different stage mentioned by me.

CMOS failure symptoms are different:
- You can start your the computer
- but you can't boot successfully
- if you even boot, then you can get trouble with the usage of low-level HW drivers, date/time reset, etc.
But still, you can switch on the computer. The OP is out of this possibility. The NAS fails to start.

There are two ways of diagnosing the real reason:
- thinking about symptoms and check the hypothesis
- or blindly try and fail method include the cost increase.

According to the description from the OP, it is obvious that he does not pay more attention to electronics, otherwise, before replacing the PSU it would first measure every single wire from the 24pin ATX connector attached to the PCB = to check them = correctly supplied voltage.

Because if such a simple test (ATX) is successfully completed, there is 99.0% certainty of the problem in the PCB components, or the PCB itself. Follow this test result and the described symptoms, the CMOS battery has nothing to do with the death NAS.

The remaining 1% is possible in that the measured data corresponding to the ATX specification, but there is not enough load on the PCB side, specifically the Power ON button.

This can be checked in 3 ways - it is important to follow the sequence:

1. measure right operation or just short the wires in the momentary Power ON button = hard ON the switch.

2. by measuring the load on the Power ON button: about 500mA, when there isn't a similar value, you need to replace the button.

3. if possible, replace ATX PSUs with other (any +250W from another computer or by a new one), but you can't get success when there is the Power button damage.

The cost of the new PSU is about 100Eur.
The new button is about 2Eur. Measurement and tests about 10 minutes include unboxing the NAS cover.

Therefore, writing any other deeper instructions is pointless, for some without a suitable multimeter and skills.
I hope it will help others.

I wasn't aware that this series, also has a transistor issue, that stops the unit powering up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also 1515 models that have shorted out the power cable. Where it crosses the top of the unit, because Synology bound the wires to the chassis too tightly.

Thx @Tedster for the link from YT.

A short analysis of the issue from the link:

According to Intel ATX Power Supply Design Standard, there are several checkpoints of PSU states remotely driven by PCB (not by CPU).

Related to this issue:
  • PWR_OK = check (signal) if the power is in good state. The signal has two states Low and High (0 or 1). There is primarily test of +5VDC and +3.3VDC (or called PS_ON signal) outputs from the PSU. The low state of the PWR_OK test means, that one (or both) of the +5VDC and 3.3VDC signal is/are missing. Then you can't switch on the computer (or NAS).

• PS_ON signal background: it is an active-low, TTL-compatible signal that allows a motherboard to remotely control the power supply in conjunction with features such as soft on/off. wake-on-LAN, or wake-on-modem. When PS_ON is pulled to TTL low, the power supply should turn on the five main DC output rails: +12VDC, +5VDC, +3.3VDC, -5VDC, and -12VDC. When PS_ON is pulled to TTL high or open-circuited, the DC output rails should not deliver current and should be held at zero potential with respect to ground = the PWR_OK test result is NEGATIVE = you can’t run the computer (or NAS in this case).
How does this relate to the described problem from YT source?

The described transistor is part of the PS_ON signal TTL test infrastructure. When the transistor is damaged, then PS_ON is hanging in the TTL high or open-circuited state = what is the reason of NEGATIVE test at PWR_OK signal = computer can’t switch ON.

Conclusion:

• The approach with replacement of the transistor was right. Be aware (read below)
  • The 100Ohm resistor soldiering was pointless.
  • Also, replacement of the CMOS battery.
  • Then you can save a time and troubles for unskilled with the the resistor soldiering.
As was written by me in my last post – reason is in the PCB. Confirmed.

Btw, this transistor is common part of the PS_ON signal test for all ATX compatible PCBs - the you can find them in your NASes also. Two possible scenarios there (3 or 2 transistors based logic):

1624786541663.png

Then you need test each of them, to be sure!

I hope, it can help you to understand the background.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.