DS1815+ POWER/DEATH ISSUE - SOLUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited by a moderator:
Like MANY MANY other DS1815+ customers who have been impacted by the problem with the Atom processor which eventually keeps the unit from starting - I have finally solved mine, and I believe for the long term. If you deep dive into the issue you'll see SYNOLOGY - like many other vendors got burned by getting the problematic ATOM processor - so not completely their fault. However, regardless, I found someone that does the repair here in the Midwest - and this is what he does;

""The resistor fix, and or Q2/Q4 fix, PSU, etc, will only buy you another year, maybe 2 if your lucky. The Atom Bomb bug as I started calling it years ago, is a persistent degradation process that is still in effect on your unit. The stepping voltage is gonna look for a bigger window in another year or 2. And you might have just made a tiny big window. Trust me. Of the 100's I service every year. 90% already have the 100ohm, Q2/Q4 fix on them. It actually needs a few parts, and added resistors and a fet. All with better values then the originals. And an additional part added to the power supply to make it permanent. So never change a PSU. They never die. If you did buy a new PSU, and your unit works now because of this change you just made. You just bought more time again. And each MB takes 1-2 Hours to complete. As some parts in there I change out are size of a grain of sand. 0603 and 0201 sized SMD parts. 24 hours of compliance testing too. Only the factory does this. But I have to do this on each MB/PSU update revision...."" Synology Service Center //

I sent my DS1815+ to him (he's in Illinois - and had it back and running in days) - FIXED - NO problems - highly recommend him, in fact - SYNOLOGY should be recommending him as a 'service center' in the USA for products with the ATOM processor bug

Like MANY MANY other DS1815+ customers who have been impacted by the problem with the Atom processor which eventually keeps the unit from starting - I have finally solved mine, and I believe for the long term. If you deep dive into the issue you'll see SYNOLOGY - like many other vendors got burned by getting the problematic ATOM processor - so not completely their fault. However, regardless, I found someone that does the repair here in the Midwest - and this is what he does;

""The resistor fix, and or Q2/Q4 fix, PSU, etc, will only buy you another year, maybe 2 if your lucky. The Atom Bomb bug as I started calling it years ago, is a persistent degradation process that is still in effect on your unit. The stepping voltage is gonna look for a bigger window in another year or 2. And you might have just made a tiny big window. Trust me. Of the 100's I service every year. 90% already have the 100ohm, Q2/Q4 fix on them. It actually needs a few parts, and added resistors and a fet. All with better values then the originals. And an additional part added to the power supply to make it permanent. So never change a PSU. They never die. If you did buy a new PSU, and your unit works now because of this change you just made. You just bought more time again. And each MB takes 1-2 Hours to complete. As some parts in there I change out are size of a grain of sand. 0603 and 0201 sized SMD parts. 24 hours of compliance testing too. Only the factory does this. But I have to do this on each MB/PSU update revision...."" Synology Service Center //

I sent my DS1815+ to him (he's in Illinois - and had it back and running in days) - FIXED - NO problems - highly recommend him, in fact - SYNOLOGY should be recommending him as a 'service center' in the USA for products with the ATOM processor bug
WOW!
Thanks Mark. Appreciated this! You are the MAN!!!

Last edited:
Smoke and mirrors. There is no proof whatsoever that the "extra repairs" (cough, cough) contribute to longevity. This "service" has had multiple posts taken down over at the community. Glad you're satisfied though.
Was it my fixes? And longevity since 2017 and no returns when I started is there after doing over 1000's units. And not 1 returned. Not to mention What I see on the scope for a Stepping Timing window bandwidth .LOL! BTW. When I was at NewEgg under management. I gave them the design for this to last 20+ years. Synology reported back they wanted nothing to do with it. Made sense why today. And stop smoking dub's. Makes you cough alot I see. LOL!

Last edited:
Over the years, on multiple products in many types of electronic equipment, talented engineers have modified equipment to out-preform original factory specifications, soas to be used in altogether different ways, or with improved reliability or quality...

Many years ago, I routinely re-built TV Cameras (Ground, Decoupling, Pre-amp SN, and expanded Contrast Ratio improvements)... so as to Improve their image quality to equate 16mm and in some cases even 35mm film.... (Have a couple Emmy's to prove it!).. Disregard Telos's negativity.... He/She is overall accurate, but knows nothing of this area of expertise...

After that area dried up, I moved to places doing Film Transfers, and used same techniques previously used on TV Cameras, on Telecine's, and gave Film transfers an increase in quality.... and for a short time, experimented with HDTV Camera and Telecine Modifications and data transfers...

There is no doubt that good engineers can improve on hardware specs, and remove hardware problems... Now, and in the future!

I'd love to see a schematic of the stock schematic, the schematic with resistor, and schematic with this fix...

Last edited:
I agree Jan fully!
I actually am design engineer for power systems. Did that many years at IBM, and Tellabs.
I earned my degree back in 87. And even then we knew at IBM the system could have been designed better.
And it was users who came up with all the answers. Imagine your staff of 20 Engineers designing a power system for a PC. And later you see it has issues. And new revisions of the system are put out in later products. Alot of that comes from word of mouth back then. But today we have the internet to thank, as millions of online testers. Tinkerers, and more. Have done the testing for you. And when you see what they did. That's when you go back in those meetings, and say. Why didn't we catch that one? With Synology, back a few years ago. It was different. Intel already had struck a deal with many vendors with this C2000 bug. I'm not sure what the deal was. I can say it was very good. And when the 100ohm solution came up. That was Intel's idea. Newegg would become the main US based company to implement all those for Synology. And Taiwan as well for what ever they had in stock. But then someone gets an idea to make it better. Or last even 100 times longer. They don't want it. As in my previous post. We are the Guinea Pigs here. And made sense why they didn't want it. They didn't want the NAS to last forever. Or 20+ years for that matter. Nobody would want that. No matter what company it is. Or how would they be able to sell new? Your old DS1815+ is running fine. Why would you buy new. So the idea was that the stepping window was opened a little more. Even though the CPU degradation is still in motion. It provided ample time to pass a couple more years, and the consumer will just decide to buy a new one. Revenues just kept coming. All vendors do this. Synology is not the exception. When you work around alot of big guys. IBM, Tellabs, Kodak, Foxconn, you know what is really happening. All abut the Dollar Bill for investors, or corporate greed. So when the idea of a 20+ plus window is introduced. That was not a good idea for them.
Like you said. It is us who will make it last and run better. Not the manufacture. No money in it for them. And every year must show an incline in sales.
And the story goes on. And like you, or he, or she. We all just see it as engineers, tinkerers, and hobbyists. And say, "I can make that better". And we end up doing so.
And it works!
It lasts!
That's what counts.

Last edited:
You worked for the big boys. I was at smaller, though large enough, companies with the forethought to “Hot Rod” their hardware, to get a leg up on their competition who were running plain old: ‘stock’ gear! Like dealing from a stacked deck!
Did first mods in late 60’s, switched to engineering in early 70’s. First HD in early 80’s & data transfers mid 80’s.
Early HD was a bit scary. Parallel cables not coax, limited to ~25’. You got talented with clock delay-edge timing!

We got such a name with talented artists, And “Hot Rodded” gear that Hollywood would often shoot & Post, or Transfer & Post in Chicago.

You too! I actually did stuff like that once in 2016. My last project was on the set with Jason Bourne. That was in Vegas. And I live in Chicago. We also did many Mall Cop stuff too. Even though the main stunt crew was from Minnesota on the set of JB. We had so many issues in the stunt department cameras. It was up to a few guys to fix it. They drove around this rigged Mercedes ML350AMG, and that was the chase camera truck. It had issues. But with a little tinkering, and some solder. Worked out perfect in the end for a great shot. I hated the director. Guy was a Jack $#@$@. LOL! Paul Greengrass. My name is in the credits Can't say my real name here. LOL! But initials are RK.. Oddly. All the chase scenes we were involved in. I was contracted actually from the producers. I have tons of my own video iphone behind the scenes stuff. Even the crash scenes.

What was so funny, I got caught off guard so bad. My boss couldn't stop laughing for like an hour. He is a pretty famous guy in stunts. But what happened was. When they setup all the cars for the Plow Truck scene. The one where they drive down Las Vegas BLVD, and plow through all the cars, the cars would go flying in the air. Well the team prior to me, had just finished chaining all the cars up so they wouldn't go flying too far. But I didn't notice. And they placed dummies in the cars. I had no idea they were dummies, as I thought they were part of the extras that are supposed to drive at the same time the shoot would happen. So when the director called out to get ready on the radio. and started the count down, I yelled over the radio to stop, there are still people in those cars. So the set halted for a short bit, just to have my boss radio the director. "Sorry, no problem here! Let's continue with the shot". And he was laughing, and told me those are dummies, and we need to destroy all that. I looked so stupid for about 10 seconds. Even I couldn't stop laughing. LOL!

And then what comes around. NAS's have arrived from Hollywood alot here. Sony Entertainment mainly. As they are used in production. And got one from the CEO of Github last week. Talked on the phone what was wrong, and he sent it in. That was cool too. LOL!

Did some program pilots, many programs, industrials, bunch of music videos, training videos…. Worked multiple films. But, Bread & Butter was commercials: Retail, beer, cars, food, food stores, restaurants, hardware, fast food chains. Literally Thousands…. I know you’ve seen what I’ve done, you just didn’t know it was me!

Did some program pilots, many programs, industrials, bunch of music videos, training videos…. Worked multiple films. But, Bread & Butter was commercials: Retail, beer, cars, food, food stores, restaurants, hardware, fast food chains. Literally Thousands…. I know you’ve seen what I’ve done, you just didn’t know it was me!
LOL!
You probably were there when I was. Just the hundreds of people on set.
You have no idea who is who. LOL!
You're in LA 5 days, then in Washington 4 days, Chicago for 4. NY for 1 week. And so on.
And you had to be with SAG/AFTRA union to do it. As it was full time to them. That was good too, as it gave us more money for the work.
LOL!
You just made me remember that from awhile back. As it was hilarious, and cost us about $10,000. As money is ticking like a clock with them.
You get so lost. When I was there on my last one with Jason Bourne, the director walked up behind me and said be ready in 8 minutes. As I turned around, he was like oh! My mistake. Thought you were Matt. (Matt Damon). And it would happen a few times with other crew members mistaken me. But I said I'm not that ugly. Geez!! Give me a break. But Matt was pretty cool guy. When my kids came to visit me on set. They were like 9-11 years old. He grabbed them, tickled them. Was having fun with them. Oddly of all the people I worked with. He was really friendly with family. He loved kids alot, and always went out of his way for them. Good guy and family man. Though I don't like his acting style personally. As a regular guy though. Is another story. Really nice!
I'm out of that now. Retired mainly. And do my own thing. Maybe jump once in awhile when I get called.
And I get called alot. But nothing interesting yet since COVID.
Mainly like you commercials. More money in that if you line up a few contracts.

What get's me is the waste! Hollywood wastes so much money in movie production.
A 100Million dollar film really only used 8Million for the movie you see. Including actor salaries, and extras.
The rest is errors and out takes that get trashed. Some are real good too they remove. Hated that.
Crazy if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.