Currently reading
DS1815+ worth it today?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I recently had an opportunity to pickup a DS1815+ at a good price, I debated too long and missed the chance to buy it. As I was researching that model, I saw the cpu has a benchmark of around 986 points which is considerably lower than I have seen which makes sense as I have not researched older devices much, and I have never really understood the impact of cpu performance on a nas unless you are running apps and tasks.... hence this question.

My personal use case for a device like this would primarily be backup, so HB and ABB. Maybe using as a multimedia source, and I think this cpu does not have video output, so no quicksync. I am not sure how compute hungry apps like HB and ABB are? Or how compute hungry general nas use is, if any?

So is a 7+ year old nas device like this worth pursuing today? Or are its bottlenecks (if there are any) more of a hurdle and make the device less appealing. I realize this question is being really generalized, but if future opportunities come up I now know I do not have the luxury of debate like buying newer modern (ie: retail price) hardware. I want to better prepare myself in advance.

Thanks for reading, and replying.

The DS1815+ was my first NAS and although it did get bit by the C2000 bug, it was replaced under warranty and as Telos says, is a fine unit. Depending on what you intend to do with it, you may want to consider upgrading RAM as it only comes with a 2 GB stick. Synology specs indicate it supports up to 6 GB, but it will support up to 16GB.

i have a DS1815+ and have had no problems since day 1 so i feel like im the lucky one.
i do have a backup system ready to go.
but if your still looking DM me for the link

I've got the 1515+ which has the same hardware but with fewer bays. I too had the cpu bug and got a replacement under warranty. It's been pretty good really, I'm running it now with 16GB of ram and it does seem to like that. It does all that I need it to. I don't think I'd like a newer Synology unit, with their new memory and drive restrictions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.